Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 9, 2014, 10:58 PM   #1

Default need advice on buying the Dimage A1

i have been lucky to find 3 cherry Dimage 7i's, and 2 A200's.

so now the bug has set in to get the A1 and A2.

am i an equipment junkie?.....no. been there done that with the DSLR's i had over the past 10 years. am so much happier now without all that gear. gave it to my son who is constantly cleaning and fiddling....

am i a pixel peeper?.no.

i love to go out and shoot, and process RAW files into prints.

having gone from a D7i back in 2002, then jumped right into the DSLR Canon world i have to say, i am totally at home with the Dimage series and love their quality.

i also guess i didn't stick around long enough to know about the CCD issues that i read about.

so with that said, and i apologize for asking this as even though i searched here and didn't find any conclusion.

i have my eye on an A1 that the seller claims to be in mint condition and guarantees it to to be in perfect working order.

is it worth buying the A1?

or is it too risky to find out that money spent was just money spent on borrowed time?

thx

-mike
Mikem65d is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2014, 1:02 PM   #2

My D7hi had the CCD issue, and was repaired free of charge, some years ago. My guess would be that an A1 which is still working, will have had the CCD replaced already, or is unlikely to have the problem. There were also issues with the anti-shake on the A1s which would cause a vibration, and blurriness, IIRC.
If the price isn't too high, I would probably take the chance.

brian
VTphotog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2014, 1:29 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTphotog View Post
My D7hi had the CCD issue, and was repaired free of charge, some years ago. My guess would be that an A1 which is still working, will have had the CCD replaced already, or is unlikely to have the problem. There were also issues with the anti-shake on the A1s which would cause a vibration, and blurriness, IIRC.
If the price isn't too high, I would probably take the chance.

brian
the seller wants $95.00.............??

really thank you for the input too.

A2's are going for similar pricing, so that may be the safer bet?
Old May 10, 2014, 5:02 PM   #4

A lot of people were really happy with the A2. I passed on it and the A200, because at that point I was looking for a DSLR, and Minolta seemed to be on the way out.
brian
Old May 12, 2014, 6:54 PM   #5

got the A200 today......what a nice camera. the viewfinder is way better than expected, and adjust out to match my current vision.

still working on getting the A2, but i am a bit worried that the diopter adjustment isn't enough for my vision.

is the adjustment the same as the other Dimage cameras?
Old May 12, 2014, 9:18 PM   #6

I think the VF on the a2 and a200 are the same. I do know that it is extemely nice to have the adjustment go to -5 diopters, for me. Lets me use the camera without my glasses, which makes a big difference.
Old May 15, 2014, 7:45 PM   #7

in regards to the A1, are the sensors still available?

or point me in the right direction and i'll dig into it to find out.
Old May 15, 2014, 9:10 PM   #8

I don't know. Sony took over the service for the Minolta camera line, when the company changed hands, and they honored the warranty replacement of the sensors (which were Sony sensors,anyway).
You might try this link: http://esupport.sony.com
Old May 15, 2014, 9:40 PM   #9

thx Brian,

i'll give that a try.
i finally have an A2 coming that is suppose to be in great shape (fingers crossed).
there was an A1 on ebay that the seller says is new in the original box, so we'll see.
i'm kinda hooked on buying these now so figured what the heck,
D7i, A2, A200, seems natural to have the A1, but i'd like to keep it in working order with an replacement CCD should it come to that.

since doing the lens transplant from a D7i with bad lens to another D7i that had a bad imaging board i am pretty confident of be able to replace parts in these.

did some serious testing between the D7i and the A200 this past couple days.......image quality of both at 8x10 prints is incredible. focusing of either in outside light are identical to me, but the D7i really nails it indoors in low light vs the A200.........thought it would be the other way around.
Old May 19, 2014, 9:03 PM   #10

i really thank you all for the links and advice.

i gave up the idea of the A1 a few posts back as well.

really a shame that this sensor problem affected so many cameras.

this all started with my buying a couple D7i's that are in perfect working condition.......why look for "dinosaur" cameras?.............quite frankly, because they were/are still very capable cameras and have a lot of features that keep ones interest going for a long time.

i bought my first D7i when they came out in May of 2002, but being one that wanted to get into the DSLR world i ditched it and bought the Canon D60, now that is a dinosaur. i missed the D7i right away and regretted letting it go.......anyways, i proceeded to enjoy (somewhat) the Canon system for about 9 years, and then gave everything to my son..........he's enjoyed it, but is doing exactly as i did and at times, curses it as he can't get all the stuff he wants, analizes over equipment quality...etc.

for kicks one day a few weeks back i surfed ebay and saw a couple D7i's and decided to buy them as they were 1/10th the cost of what i paid for a new one..........luckily too is that they were from sellers that i believe use to post here and girls always seem to take great care of their gear........i was right. not yet done though as i started reading about sensor failures so i bought a couple more, and even a couple for parts. i now have 4 excellent working D7i's to go shoot with.

then i see the A series and thought what the heck.

now i have 2 A200's, one of which is brand new for less than 250.00 spent for both.

so, gotta get the group now right?............this is where i am so thankful to you all for posting the info about the A1. glad i skipped it.

i have acquired 2 A2's though and am quite happy with them. the EVF is something else, not to mention a great step up from the 7i.

now you probably wonder why?

well after shooting with them this weekend i can honestly say they all exceed my needs, and all 3 excel in different ways.

the A200 is terrible in low light, but outrageous in outside light.

the A2 is pretty good in low light, but touchy in outside bright light.

the D7i is my favorite in low light, but needs flash of course to pull things off...........

would be nice if all three could be combined into one.

i'm sure that all the downfalls of each could be found in one modern day camera that excels, but i am mostly enjoying these as they were all had for virtually nothing by comparison of new pricing.

what i would like to do eventually is to update the firmware in them, but after reading horror stories about using the wrong firmware (US vs Euro), i think it's best to leave "it works" alone.