Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 1, 2004, 5:41 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
I believe you might have it the other way around... ~11MB x 3 is about 32MB, the A2's buffers.
IMO If it is raw+ jpg, probably around 16MB+ this size of file will immediately overflow the A2 buffer after the 2nd shot!
I try not to just babble. 21 seconds between shots for raw only but it will buffer three raw+ jpg shots before it needs a 14 second write. I didn’t say it made sense – that it is just the way it works. http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7798781
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 6:53 PM   #12
NHL

That's what I thought :"My A2 takes 3 RAW frames with virtually no delay betwen shots." http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7798561

Then after the buffer is filled (ie 3 shots): "There is then a 14 second delay before the next RAW shot whilst the camera is writing to the CF card." This is the same as the A1, except because of the smaller file, the A1 can buffer up to 5 RAW frames before the next 14 second wait...

The 21s is for RAW+jpg (ie larger file), does it make sense?
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1, 2004, 7:08 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
That's what I thought :"My A2 takes 3 RAW frames with virtually no delay betwen shots." http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7798561

Then after the buffer is filled (ie 3 shots): "There is then a 14 second delay before the next RAW shot whilst the camera is writing to the CF card." This is the same as the A1, except because of the smaller file, the A1 can buffer up to 5 RAW frames before the next 14 second wait...

The 21s is for RAW+jpg (ie larger file), does it make sense?
Read the entire thread in sequence. He was corrected and confirmed the viewfinder said “raw+” and not “raw” when he reported those readings.

Since you don’t seem to be able to reconstruct the thread backward try it from the beginning: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7795630
Old Mar 2, 2004, 1:31 AM   #14

I still really cant decide i might just wait untill the A2 comes down in price & see how i go
digitalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 10:02 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by digitalman
I still really cant decide i might just wait untill the A2 comes down in price & see how i go
At least wait for some good reviews of the A2 to make sure it is worth waiting for. The A1 isn’t likely to go up in price in the meantime and the reviews should be coming out soon.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 6:13 AM   #16
NHL

Slipe

FYI, you did get get it backward, here's another confirmation: http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/re...essage=7866097
Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:07 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHL
Slipe

FYI, you did get get it backward
Well it certainly is clear in the second thread – I stand corrected. I can’t imagine why they bother to put raw+jpg on the camera with a 21 second lockup for each shot. That makes raw+jpg basically useless. If it can buffer 3 raw shots you would think it could buffer 2 raw+ shots. Other cameras with raw+ evidently do the same thing, so there must be a technicality I don’t understand.
Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:22 AM   #18
NHL

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipe
If it can buffer 3 raw shots you would think it could buffer 2 raw+ shots. Other cameras with raw+ evidently do the same thing, so there must be a technicality I don’t understand.
My guess is the camera need the "extra" memory to perform the jpeg computation, which is not required in raw only when data from the CCD are just transfered from 1 medium to another with no time-consuming processing involved.

IMO 3 RAWs is still better than the Oly or Sony which has no option at all. Let see if the Canon or the Nikon has it. I think the A2 is a winner already with its EVF that no other camera has, plus its noise and puple fringing from other forums seemed to be under control as well...

Quote:
That makes raw+jpg basically useless.
Have you heard of an A2hi? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Old Mar 3, 2004, 11:52 AM   #19

Quote:
My guess is the camera need the "extra" memory to perform the jpeg computation, which is not required in raw only when data from the CCD are just transfered from 1 medium to another with no time-consuming processing involved.
It buffers SHQ JPG files just fine, so there is something in the combination that is a problem.

Quote:
Have you heard of an A2hi?
Maybe we’ll be lucky enough to get it in the A2i.