Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 2, 2004, 8:30 AM   #1

Default Kudos to Minolta

I recently sent my 3 year old Dimage 7 (original version) in to Minolta for repair. My zoom ring had broken, so the camera had essentually become unuseable. I had also asked Minolta to check out the autofocus, which had never been reliable on my D7.

Yesterday evening UPS returned my camera to me. When I opened the box, Minolta had sent me a new D7i, complete with an instruction book.

The *repair* cost me $200. So kudos to Minolta.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 2, 2004, 3:03 PM   #2
NHL

Let me break my zoom ring then...! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Seriously though they have improved this camera to its 4th generation now culminating with in the A2 which I'm seriously considering. The D7 was and still is the only one that can snap IR so I guess I'll keep it in my collection.
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2004, 5:19 PM   #3

I wish I could give them Kudos. I've had a terrible experience with my A1 and a terrible time trying to get it repaired. It captures horitontal lines of discolor. I sent the camera in last month - got it back with a work order saying they " an diagnostics and made adjustments/cleaning" but they DIDN'T FIX THE PROBLEM! I had even sent them printouts and a mem-card clearly showing the problem (not to mention that they would have seen it had they actually taken a picture).
Seems the monkey's in tech support run a few diag's - and if they pass - they clean up the camera and send it back to you as is - so if its a problem that their rudimentary diags don't catch - your out of luck. Needless to say I called and have since sent the camera back awaiting repair yet again.
Based upon my experience - I'll be staying clear of Minolta in the future (unless they either send me a new camera - or my camera fixed with a serious apology of error attached).
Its a sad thing - because I really did love the camera up until the CCD/sensor or whatever it is that has broken, broke. Now I'm missing being able to use it to photograph both my kids birthday's and some weekend travel (My 4 year old Nikon Coolpix 800 has been filling in - still works great - should have gone with Nikon again I guess).
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 6:36 AM   #4
NHL

Can you post a picture of the problem, may be we can help? In my case I was happy with their service too: http://www.stevesforums.com/phpBB2/v...ghlight=eyecup

I can understand your frustration and I agree that some individual @ Minolta may have made a mistake, which need to be remedied... but regardless the A1/A2 look like winners: What other camera would you buy instead for the same price or features?

BTW my CP990 is notorious for power switch failure and its rubber grip keeps peeling off!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 4:48 PM   #5

Funnily enough I returned my 7Hi to Minolta UK and since it's came back it's rubber grip now keeps falling off!.
phaedra1106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2004, 10:35 PM   #6
hst

Default I had the same issues with Minolta

It took me nearly 6 months to get my issues addressed with Minolta. It seems they just sign off a check list when the get a camera and then ship it back. After numerous returns, having to send detailed letters and photo examples, they upgrade my 7I to a 7HI. I immediately sold it because of my frustration with Minolta. That being said, they were in the middle of the merger so things may have improved when the two companies joined.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2004, 1:52 PM   #7

Default Re: I had the same issues with Minolta

Quote:
Originally Posted by hst
It took me nearly 6 months to get my issues addressed with Minolta. It seems they just sign off a check list when the get a camera and then ship it back. After numerous returns, having to send detailed letters and photo examples, they upgrade my 7I to a 7HI. I immediately sold it because of my frustration with Minolta. That being said, they were in the middle of the merger so things may have improved when the two companies joined.
Things haven't improved from my experience - not in the US - this is exactly what they still did to me a few weeks ago - sent back my broken camera with a checklist of "clean this, adjust that, run diagnostics" then "good to return". In my case - I had even sent a photo showing the problem - they just didn't look at it. I thought the service here in the US would be good since they have only ONE location for all digital returns - but perhaps they are overwhelmed -I don't know.

NHL - thanks for offering to help - I actually didn't save any image samples after printing them and sending in printout examples and a flash card with examples to Minolta. Basically - picture an old weak TV signal flickering - that's what my camera looks like all the time (after 6 weeks of use - it worked fine when I bought it). At first I thought it was a problem with the LCD and EVF until I looked at pictures taken which capture the distortion. They appear in horizontal bands which are darker/or lighter in color than the rest of the image. The bands appear in several places throughout the image in random places for each photo thereby rendering the camera useless. You also asked what other camera I would have bought - I was looking at the Nikon 5700 - the problem is I fell in love with the image stabilization on the A1 and felt I couldn't live without it - but now I'm without a good camera (at least for the time being) and out $700 so I am definitely second guessing my decision. I've spend the past month on this forum boasting about how great the A1 is everytime a newbie asks about it - hopefully no one else will hit this problem!
Old Mar 4, 2004, 2:52 PM   #8

Default Re: I had the same issues with Minolta

hst - how many times did you return your return before they finally fixed the issue? I'm on my second return and am curious on what I may be in for. :?
Since they are holding the camera now - I'm going to call and see if I can actually get the tech that has my camera to call me - problem is it seems the tech's that do the fixing, and the tech's that answer the phone - work at different locations (phone support in CA, phone repair in NJ). I've already made a major issue with them of the fact that they didn't fix the issue the first time so I'm hoping they have a red-flag on this as an issue being a second return for the same problem. They offered to reimburse my postage for the second return - but what I really want is insurance this will be the last time I have to return it.