Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 5, 2004, 5:23 AM   #1

Default does the DiMAGE Xg have an A/V out?

I was looking on B&H's website and it listed the Xg as having no A/V out/cable
and I was wondering if thats correct as the Xt could be hooked up to a tv, I don't mind if it comes with the cables or not, I'm just wondering if it's possible to plug the Xg into and veiw images on a TV screan, the Xt did this through it's mini USB plug, so I figured so would the Xg

any info would be great
cheah cheah
-Stevie
Lord_of_Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 6, 2004, 2:13 AM   #2

Checking through my XG manual, there is no A/V output available. That matches the fact that there is no slide show function in the XG. This will be a deal breaker for some customers. It is a feature that I did not use in my Dimage X.

Obviously, there is some cost cutting in the XG considering it is only a 3 megapixel camera competing against 5 and 6 MP DCs. There is no in-camera charging option as in the XT, no AV output, and no DC input jack (XG uses battery pack adapter, fake battery). To make up for that, the XG has a lot of added firmware functionality like user selectable AE modes (portrait, sports, landscape, ...), multi-frame capture, picture editing, movie editing, and cut and pasting of images.

I like the added editing functions of the XG and the much improved battery life (almost twice as long). You can crop your pics and edit your movies.
IpaqMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 6:03 AM   #3

hey thanks for that, got me a real headache now
I think I may might to go with the Xt

but B&H has stopped selling it and I need to buy it online(I live in New Zealand and Cameras are around twice the price over here)
does anyone have any idea of where to get an Xt from?
a webstore with a large range like B&H's would be desireable

Ipaqman if you've got a moment
whats the night movie mode like on the Xg
and whats included in the box/how do You Feel about the Camera?

thanks for the info
-Stevie
Lord_of_Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6, 2004, 11:14 AM   #4

Yes, it seems a tough decision. I wasn't aware of any lost features before I bought the XG. I just made some wrong assumptions. However, now that I have had some time to digest the choices, I would still buy the XG over the XT. My main objective was getting an everyday pocketable camera. Since I have a great Canon S45, my needs are more limited; however, I still need some manual options on a DC.

The XG deleted some hardware features (dock charging, DC input jack, A/V out) and some software features (image TIFF mode, permanently saving a picture taken without a memory card). This is not a full list since I am not very familiar with the XT.

However, the XG added a lot of functionality and fun. The specific AE choices make taking portrait, landscape, sport, night scenes easier. The night modes like night movie mode make it easier to take night shots. Low light picture taking is important to me and the XG really shines for me. The editing features (cropping in-camera, movie editing, cut and pasting images) make for better photo prints. The multi-frame in one frame feature is great for sports shots.

And one of the biggest improvements has been to battery life. The XG gets almost twice as much life as the XT.

The XG is slightly smaller in size and a little better looking than the XT.

BTW, you can download the XT and XG manuals from www.minoltausa.com. The XG comes with camera, manuals, 16mb SD card, external charger/AC cable, hand strap, software CD, and USB cable. Options include a battery adapter needed for external DC power and a case.

Overall, I really like the XG. It is a lot more fun to take pictures with. The limitations are features that I don't use.
IpaqMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 14, 2004, 9:11 AM   #5

Thanks for this view on the Xg. I tried the Xt and took it back to the shop and purchased the X20..which I thought was better value - in terms of pic quality the Xt seemed grainy and underexposed for the price. The reports for the Xg seem to indicate an improvement in performance.
Little Davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 17, 2004, 6:18 AM   #6

Does the Xg still work as a webcam though?
galapogos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 3:19 AM   #7

Yes, the Xg is webcam capable. It also uses PictBridge so you can control a PictBridge capable photo printer from the camera.
zigzaddy is offline   Reply With Quote