Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 24, 2004, 9:15 PM   #11
Tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadgetnut
I'm enjoying your pics too. Great shots! I just bought a Z1 about three weeks ago. I'm still learning the camera, but so far I absolutely love it. I can't get over how fast it focuses compared to other digicams I've used. Plus it's got the least ammount of shutter lag and has a full range of manual adjustments. I was back-and-forth quite a bit in my decision to get a Z1 or a Z2. The way I see it; for the few minor improvements and the extra 0.8 megapixel of resolution, it just wasn't worth an extra $150 to me. I'm sure it's an excellent camera, but I love my Z1. With the $150 I saved, I got a Panasonic high-speed 256mb card, the official Minolta leather case, and rechargeable batteries. (And I still had enough left over for lunch) 8)
good choice - enjoy it like I do
Tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 3:15 PM   #12
Dey

I've had the Z2 for about a week now but I still don't understand why the Auto mode is far inferior than my old F100. Took pictures from both cameras indoor with less than perfect lighting with Auto Mode and F100 sets the ISO to 100. Z2, meanwhile sets ISO to 200 resulting in a grainy, noisy picture. Focusing is fast but without resorting to full Manual mode everytime i shoot, how do i "force" the camera to select only ISO level between 50 and 100?
Dey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 7:44 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dey
I've had the Z2 for about a week now but I still don't understand why the Auto mode is far inferior than my old F100. Took pictures from both cameras indoor with less than perfect lighting with Auto Mode and F100 sets the ISO to 100. Z2, meanwhile sets ISO to 200 resulting in a grainy, noisy picture. Focusing is fast but without resorting to full Manual mode everytime i shoot, how do i "force" the camera to select only ISO level between 50 and 100?
Assuming the Z2 is like my Z1 in this regard, I would say set the camera to Program mode (P) or else A, S, or M. If you're comfortable with Auto, P should work since it's pretty similar. When in P mode, you can go to the third menu over and change sensitivity (again, that's how the menus are on the Z1, I don't know if the Z2 has the same menus or not). You can select the ISO sensitivity you want.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 9:21 PM   #14

Z2 vs. Z1
Main changed points from DiMAGE Z1 are as follows:
CCD: Number of effective pixels is changed from 320 million to 400 million. (approx.)
Lens: Adoption of new GT APO lens using AD glass which corrects a large portion of color aberration and delivers sharp images of high contrast across the entire display from the center to the edges.
*The name "GT lens" is given only to lenses that clear a higher standard of picture quality than that used for ordinary DSC lenses. It effectively corrects chromatic aberration and distortion.
AF system: Addition of 3D predictive focus control
Super macro: Shortest focsing scale is changed from 4cm to 3cm.
Color mode for movie
SVGA (800x600) movie
Optical zoom can be operated in movie.
Edit function of movie (unnecessary frame can be cut off from the movie file.)
Shorter startup time
Higher-speed continuous advance. Changed from 1.5fps to 2 fps.
Histogram display prior to recording
yyyfak1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 6:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyfak1
Z2 vs. Z1
Now THAT was a helpful post :!:

Thanks.
abergfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 3:50 AM   #16

Default Z2 review

I just read the Z2 review and even though i know very little about cameras it seems very similar to the Canon S1 IS but about 100 cheaper. I've been looking at the 10x zoom cameras and read some reviews on about 4 different cameras but this looks like one i'll be keeping an eye on. I wish it was my birthday.
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 6:25 AM   #17

Default Re: Z2 review

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackrussell
I just read the Z2 review and even though i know very little about cameras it seems very similar to the Canon S1 IS but about 100 cheaper. I've been looking at the 10x zoom cameras and read some reviews on about 4 different cameras but this looks like one i'll be keeping an eye on. I wish it was my birthday.
I was looking at the S1 when I saw the Z2 in an ad. The plus for the S1 is the image stabilized lens. It was a close call; but as you noticed the price difference (plus the 4MP vs. 3.2MP and the upgraded lens that Minolta put in th Z2) swayed me. As you have probably found, the Panasonic Z10 has a stabilized zoom also. My Z2 should arrive in a few days so I will be posting more soon.
Old Apr 3, 2004, 9:04 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by abergfeld
Quote:
Originally Posted by yyyfak1
Z2 vs. Z1
Now THAT was a helpful post :!:

Thanks.
UPDATE: Steve's has the review of the Z2.
Old Apr 6, 2004, 7:56 AM   #19

Posted: Tue Apr 06, 2004 1:34 am Post subject: regarding steve's minolta z2 review

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting , but altough writing an extensive review, he didn't adress some problematic issues with z1, e.g more than usual chromatic abberation and "lens rattle" , where there corrected in z2?
I'd like to know this before I buy. Pity no other sites haven't poster their review of z 2 yet.
driliagor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 5:30 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by driliagor
he didn't adress some problematic issues with z1, e.g more than usual chromatic abberation and "lens rattle" , where there corrected in z2?
I've read (though I can't recall where) that the CA problem has been resolved with the GT lens, but I haven't read one way or the other on the "lens rattle."
abergfeld is offline   Reply With Quote