Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:23 PM   #1

Default Minolta Z1 vs Z2

Anyone have any info on any advantages of Z2 vs Z1 model. Been looking at the Z1 like the zoom, like the wide angle accessory, like the battery situation. Don't like only 3.2 mp and wish it still kept CF instead of SD. Any comments regarding Z1 or Z2 appreciated. glenn
glennj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2004, 1:22 PM   #2

Minolta have just squeezed an extra mb of pixelage into the Z2, end of story. I have the Z1 with wide angle accesory. It rocks, i dunno what its competitors are like now-a-days since i biught the z1 when it was first released in the UK a while back.
officer_nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 7:39 PM   #3
Tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer_nova
Minolta have just squeezed an extra mb of pixelage into the Z2, end of story. I have the Z1 with wide angle accesory. It rocks, i dunno what its competitors are like now-a-days since i biught the z1 when it was first released in the UK a while back.
Z1, Z2 or A2

Tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 3:17 PM   #4

Looks like Z1 to me.

But I cheated and looked at the exif :P
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 4:53 PM   #5

Z2 is supposed to have better focusing and do 10 fps in high-speed mode. I don't think the Z1 does anywhere near that. The Z2 could be a poor-mans sports camera dream!
azpatrick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 7:54 PM   #6
Tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpatrick2000
Z2 is supposed to have better focusing and do 10 fps in high-speed mode. I don't think the Z1 does anywhere near that. The Z2 could be a poor-mans sports camera dream!
Z1 focuses quite nicely & does 10 fps burst - I think Z2 is plus 0.8 Mpixels.

Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:53 PM   #7

I must have read the Z1 specs 100 times and missed it every time, yes it does 10fps as well and has the same focusing system. I stand corrected. I think that makes the Z1 a better deal, there has to be a trade-off putting 1 more mpx on the same size sensor, in theory it has to have more noise???? Or at least it should.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the pix you are showing, extremely sharp images and great focus, colors, everything.

We have an S5000 and a 7HI and A1 and I would be absolutely thrilled to see a picture such as that come out of one of those cameras.
azpatrick2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 12:16 AM   #8

I've used my Z1 at the race track two weekends now, and it's worked well (at least in light). I'll be at a night race Saturday, might get interesting since I haven't done much of that at all with this camera yet. In the shooting I have done, I didn't time it but I was able to fire off quite a few shots real quick. Plus at full zoom I got some handheld shots with no blur. Bob on this board reminded me about the custom key, so you can switch between MF and AF by just hitting a button--worked quite well. 8)
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 23, 2004, 5:05 PM   #9
Tik

Quote:
Originally Posted by azpatrick2000
I must have read the Z1 specs 100 times and missed it every time, yes it does 10fps as well and has the same focusing system. I stand corrected. I think that makes the Z1 a better deal, there has to be a trade-off putting 1 more mpx on the same size sensor, in theory it has to have more noise???? Or at least it should.

There is absolutely NOTHING wrong with the pix you are showing, extremely sharp images and great focus, colors, everything.

We have an S5000 and a 7HI and A1 and I would be absolutely thrilled to see a picture such as that come out of one of those cameras.
Thank you - the gulls were hand held 180mm - pretty good camera the Z1 & it gives me a lot of pleasure.

Chris
Old Mar 24, 2004, 7:32 AM   #10

I'm enjoying your pics too. Great shots! I just bought a Z1 about three weeks ago. I'm still learning the camera, but so far I absolutely love it. I can't get over how fast it focuses compared to other digicams I've used. Plus it's got the least ammount of shutter lag and has a full range of manual adjustments. I was back-and-forth quite a bit in my decision to get a Z1 or a Z2. The way I see it; for the few minor improvements and the extra 0.8 megapixel of resolution, it just wasn't worth an extra $150 to me. I'm sure it's an excellent camera, but I love my Z1. With the $150 I saved, I got a Panasonic high-speed 256mb card, the official Minolta leather case, and rechargeable batteries. (And I still had enough left over for lunch) 8)
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote