Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 8, 2004, 12:56 PM   #1

Default Which SD cards does you Z1 accept?

Hi, i am thinking of upgrading my crappy 8mb card to a manly 256mb! I am looking on ebay and have found some real bargains. Can people tell me if Kingston, PQI and Sandisk work in their cameras as i have heard some nasty reports when people have bought cheap makes! Thanks
officer_nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 9, 2004, 12:24 AM   #2

8mb card? mine came with a 16mb panasonic, but anyway...

i use sandisk and never had any problems. in any case as long as you get a money-back guarantee just go for the cheapest deal you can find.
crimsondynamics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 8:34 AM   #3

Hi,

I use a Lexar 256Mb card in mine.

As crimsondynamics said go for the best deals you can find, but if there is only a small price gap between a known brand and a unkown one, I personally would pay extra.

if money is a problem you can also use MMC cards (I think) which are cheaper but also slower.
baillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 1:12 PM   #4

does any1 have experience with Kingston or PQI ?
officer_nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 10:47 AM   #5
Administrator

I would strongly recommend using either Panasonic, Simpletech or Lexar (only the "high speed" 32x or 64x cards from Lexar).

Konica-Minolta does not even consider Sandisk 256mb Secure Digital to be compatible with some of their models, and Sandisk may be the OEM supplier for some of the cheaper brands.

Here is an example of one of the models that will not even work properly with the Sandisk SD (the same is true for some of the other models). See note 8:

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...ity/DiMAGEG500

Now, I have seen users report that some of the Sandisk 256mb SD will work, but you're "taking your chances" in some cameras.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:03 AM   #6

Quote:
but you're "taking your chances" in some cameras.
Yeah I have experience of this - two identical 64Mb Viking CF cards, ordered at the same time from Amazon, one worked fully, no problems - the other didn't, so I returned it and the new one they sent did the same, but it was third time lucky.

Some Cameras can be picky about what cards they accept. Best bet is to go with what other owners use in there cameras.
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:09 AM   #7

According to the Minolta USA site:

Compatibility - Misc -

Tested SD Memory Card
Panasonic RP-SD series 8/16/32/64/128/256/512MB
TOSHIBA SD series 32/64/128/256MB
San Disk SDSDB series 16/32/64/128/256MB

Tested MultiMedia Card
HITACHI MM1 series 16/32/64MB
SanDisk SDMB series 32/64MB

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...ility/DiMAGEZ1
Old Mar 10, 2004, 11:23 AM   #8
Administrator

Some of the newer cards seem to work, and some don't in many devices. It depends on which card they tested (the Sandisk 256mb SD card they tested in the G500 did not work).

Here is an interesting site on SD card problems:

http://sdprob.aximsite.com/theproblemlist.htm

Apparently, some of the newer Sandisk Cards do have less problems. Here is a page discusssing the edge stamps used on the newer cards. Unfortunately, you can't see this info until you open the package.

http://sdprob.aximsite.com/ar0307ns.htm

According to the site, Sandisk is making headway in sorting out the issues.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 16, 2004, 6:40 PM   #9

I did a fair amount of reading about SD cards to find a good one for my Z1. What I learned, was that there can be BIG differences in speed and reliability from one brand to the next. It seems that the best over-all cards, are the ones that are made in Japan. The problem is that with some of the major brands, you have no way of knowing where the card was made until after you've bought it, opened the package, and read the back of the card. Cards made in Tiawan and China have been plagued by reliability issues. A lot of reviews and reports that I read all seemed to agree that Panasonic cards are excellent quality. It seems that all Panasonic cards are made in Japan. Also, if you get the 256mb or the 512mb Panasonic cards, they have a 10mb/sec write speed! I guess it makes sense that the 16mb card my Z1 came with was a Panasonic. Anyhow, I just ordered and received today (woo-hoo) a 256mb Panasonic. With my Z1 on the highest resolution and at the "Fine" setting, it will hold 155 photos.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2004, 5:33 AM   #10

I got the SanDisk Ultra II 512mb & apart from taking me ages to actually get it out of the packaging & cutting my thumb (Do u think i could sue? Blood loss & emotnional distress & i got blood on my bed so thats gotta be property damage surely!)

Anyway its been runnig sweet since i put it in

I know it was expensive but im a firm beilever in 'you get what you pay for' (unless you steal it ofcorse but thats very naughty so dont do it!)
Japair is offline   Reply With Quote