Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 8, 2004, 1:15 PM   #1

Default Need help with digital camera

Hello all.
I have never posted here before and I need some help. I currently have a Canon Rebel (not Digital) camera with an 88-200 lens in addition to what came with the camera. I like the shots that I get with the camera. I am looking for a digital camera for the convience. Possibly the A1 or A2. I like the idea of not having to lug around lenses every time I want to shoot.
Here is my question. When I look at shots of people taken with a digital camera, they almost look as if they are fake. Like there is something missing from the image that is present when I shoot with film. Is this true of all prosumer cameras?
Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you
comdial is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 8, 2004, 1:18 PM   #2

One of the first digital cameras was SONY ProMavica MVC-5000. It has appeared in 1989. The word "MAVICA" stands for Magnetic Video Camera. The camera worked as follows: it recorded images as magnetic impulses on a compact 2-inch still-video floppy disk. The images were captured on the disk by using two CCD (charge-coupled device) chips. One chip stored luminance information and the other separately recorded the chrominance information. This camera provided a 720,000-pixel image. The images could be stored on the floppy disk either in Frame or Field mode. When Frame was selected, each picture was recorded on two tracks and up to 25 images could be recorded on each disk. When Field was selected, each picture was recorded on only one track, allowing up to 50 images to be recorded. When recorded in the Field mode, images were less detailed as compared to images recorded in the two-track Frame mode. The MVC-5000 was considered to be the leader in image quality during its time.
officer_nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 8, 2004, 1:20 PM   #3

does this not help?
Old Mar 8, 2004, 1:43 PM   #4

Default re. officer_nova

Unfortunately, it does not help. I don't think that I was clear. I was discussing current digital cameras.

"When I look at shots of people taken with a digital camera, they almost look as if they are fake. Like there is something missing from the image that is present when I shoot with film. Is this true of all prosumer cameras? "

I looked at sample images that were posted for the A2 and the pictures of the people looked like they missing something. Like the whites were blown out a little. I know that I can't trust my monitor, but it was just my observation.

Thank you
Old Mar 8, 2004, 2:06 PM   #5

In 1843, Scotsman Alexander Bain patented a design for a mechanical device which used a stylus attached to a electromagnetic pendulum to send typed words over a telegraph line. The first commercial fax service was opened between Paris and Lyon, France, in 1865. Popularity of facsimile machines increased significanlty in 1906 and thereafter when they were employed for transmitting newspaper photos.

You really need to consult somebody else, my field is in the history of digital photography.
Old Mar 8, 2004, 9:34 PM   #6

All digital cameras capturing .jpg image files perform some sort digital image processing in-camera. Some digital cameras tend to over sharpen the image and/or over saturate the colors. This could be the 'fake' characteristic to which you refer. The DiMAGE A1 and A2 offer a tremendous amount of user control over the type and amount of in-camera processing performed AND offer the option of capturing the image in RAW format; which is unprocessed data straight from the CCD sensor. RAW gives you the freedom to do what ever image manipulation that suits your needs in post processing using the supplied DiMAGE RAW iimage editor or some third party product, if you desire.

Most Pro-sumer class cameras offer RAW file format, but few offer the degree of user control over in-camera processing as does the A1 and A2.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:03 AM   #7

Default thank you

Thank you Jawz.
That was helpful.

By the way, should high speed memory be used with either the A1 or the A2?
Old Mar 9, 2004, 10:10 PM   #8

comdial-
I can't help too much on your question about card speed. My only experience with my A1 is with a Sandisk Ultra II card (bought it with the camera cuz my the local dealer where I got the camera gave me a good price on it). By one objective account the 256 MB Ultra II is the fastest card for the A1, but only by a small fraction over other cards with lesser specifications (sry, I can't find the link right now to the test results page).

I have read opinions expressed by others that any good card that is at least 16x will meet the A1's writing speed. In other words if the card is much slower than 16x, the card will limit the write times, if the card is much faster than 16x (all things being equal), the A1 will limit the write times. Even so, a super fast card my be useful because it may offer higher download speeds when using a USB 2 (true high speed) card reader, and since the A2 has built-in down load support for USB 2, a high speed card may be a benefit with the A2.
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote