Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 15, 2004, 6:30 PM   #1

Default Seeing lot of white through viewfinder of Z1

I did quite a bit of testing with my new Z1 last weekend, probably took more than 200 shots between Saturday and Sunday. A problem I noticed Sunday at the race track: when looking through the viewfinder, I was getting a "washed out" view--was seeing a lot of white, even though it was partly cloudy. When I held the shutter halfway down the view was normal. What made me concerned was in similar light situations on Saturday, both at the same track and while doing pics of a motocross kid, I didn't get that "washed out" view. I was noticing this when I had the camera pointed to where the sun was (behind some clouds) but also noticed it a bit when pointed away from the sun. Some of the pics were really whited out on Sunday, but not too many. Is something wrong with my camera, or is this washed out view normal? Other than that, I really like the camera. Still wish the AF/MF could be changed with a button or switch, but I'll get used to it. Also was hoping ISO could be changed in sports mode, looks like I'll be mainly using shutter mode. But the camera is fast, menus easy to use, easy to quickly discard pics while looking through EVF, and good battery life. Lot of pics turned out really well, and being able to download the pics and have all the camera setting info. plus histogram is great--should really speed up the learning curve.
Oh, and I was aware of the battery door problem before buying the camera--is there a good way to be able to close the door? I've put batteries in three times, and it's taken about 8-10 tries each time to get the door closed. Any tips?
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 18, 2004, 12:51 PM   #2

Anyone?
Old Mar 18, 2004, 3:12 PM   #3

Hmmm. I've only had to open and close my battery door a few times so far, but I haven't noticed a problem. Once I load the batteries in, I simply bring the door out and over the batteries, then push down while sliding the door back into position. Once it's in place, I move the little black locking lever to secure it. The resistance you feel when pushing the door down on the batteries is normal. It's because of the metal contacts on the battery door. They are pressed against the batteries to make good contact.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 5:37 PM   #4

Default white lcd

I think you're probably just seeing how the camera predicts your exposure will turn out re: the white lcd/evf. I know if I have it set to take a 2 second exposure at ISO 400 on a bright sunny day it'll look very washed out since, well, that's what it'll be. As for the focusing mode, you can change this with a button. go to the first menu (in picture-taking mode, not playback) and one of the options is for the flash button's function. I have it set to switch between af and mf myself.
Bob
bob877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 18, 2004, 6:32 PM   #5

Thanks for the responses. With the focusing, I guess that I should clarify I know how to switch back and forth between MF and AF, I would just prefer being able to push a button on the camera or simply flick a switch like on my Nikon N60. There's times where you need to switch between AF and MF right away, and with a switch you can do that--it takes longer when you go to a menu, but at least it can be done.
Back to the viewfinder, I did some experimenting this afternoon in the driveway. When I set it to ISO 400 I was getting the vertical white streaks--when pointed towards the partly hidden sun, with my back to the sun, and everywhere in between. At ISO 200 the streaks were basically gone, and when sensitivity was set to auto no streaks. In each setting, pictures turned out fine--no streaks in the pics, just in the viewfinder most notably at ISO 400. I hadn't noticed the streaks in the viewfinder on Saturday, so I checked the image information for those pics and the ISO was set to auto. It was also mostly cloudly that day. On Sunday, when I first noticed the streaks, I had ISO set to 400 most of the day, and it was partly sunny.
Old Mar 19, 2004, 7:18 AM   #6

Quote:
I guess that I should clarify I know how to switch back and forth between MF and AF, I would just prefer being able to push a button on the camera or simply flick a switch like on my Nikon N60.
You can do this. The button just behind the shutter release (not the macro button but the button labeled with a flash just behind it) can be assigned to select auto or manual focus. It can actually be assigned to a variety of functions, like white balance, flash mode, color setting, etc.. I suggest you look this up in your manual for more info.
bob877 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 3:55 PM   #7

Thanks bob! I must have overlooked that page in the manual. I put in the batteries and tried it, but evidently one of my Sunpak NiMH batteries has self destructed or something--paint has flaked off, and the top isn't white all around like the others. Camera didn't work (plus battery door was being a real pain) so I put in the cheapo batteries that came with the camera and it was much better. Plus now a single button controls the MF/AF. Woo-Hoo!
As for the white in the viewfinder, anyone have suggestions/advice?
Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:32 AM   #8

I also have all of a sudden the same vertical lines across my screen when pointed at a bright ligtht....see my new thread in this forum. ISO adjustments help but dont cure as far as I can tell.

Could be something brainless as in grease on the lens???

Hopefully this has been seen before and someone will have a solution rather than returning the camera.

Please post if you find an answer.....

Thanks Julian
Julian B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:58 AM   #9

I have new Z2. The same lines appears. But when the picture is taken, there is no such lines (taking photos in P mode).
Rayfire is offline   Reply With Quote