Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 16, 2004, 4:20 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeInLondon
I get my cameras from a store that gives you a no quibble return...
WOW! Where is this place???

Quote:
...the Mintolta's are so small I carry them everywhere on my belt most of the time too.
I thought id lost mine yesterday while franticaly lookin for it in my bag, turns out it was in my pocket & i didnt even notice!

Quote:
So now the XG is out I have the opportunity to return the Xt and get that instead and get a refund for the Xt and save the difference on the much cheaper Xg.
Well id say that was a no brainer then!

Quote:
I think the main attraction to me first of all is this extended battery life people are talking about, the Xg's quoted recording battery life seems to be 70% longer then the Xt ... can anyone confirm if this seems about right in the real world?
Well for the first charge mine lasted jus over 2 days, but that was with 48hrs of constant fiddling so i cant really complain. Since i calmed down a bit with it ive only charge it a few times since! But i cant compare it with the Xt sorry

Quote:
Can the Xg still be used like a webcam via USB port?

Is the USB Port now USB 2 standard? That would also be a great bonus for me.
Yup to both

Quote:
better in low light... what exactly is low light?
I personaly consider anythin other than a Bright sunny day as 'Low Light' conditions. A candle lit room for example

Quote:
the picture looked really blocky in the view finder but once I clicked on the shutter it lookedpretty darn good considering.
Same thing happens with the Xg but i agree the actual picture quality is outstanding. In this case what you see is definatly not what you get!
Japair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 8:17 PM   #12

.at the end... why don't you buy a cheap "only" 2M X20?
It's fast as the new Xr, is a webcam and has video/audio output, it makes video with sound... ok is made by plastic but it's strong and light! It uses normal AA batteries, so is cheap to have an extra pack, with 2x AA 2200 mAh you cane take 150 phots and at least half using flash... and then you can carry the secon pack with you for other 150 shots... of course in emergency you can always buy normal AA alkaline batteries everywhere! No problem with the LCD: sharp and bright 1.6', with this camera you won't miss the optical viewfinder!

Think about it! With the saved money you can buy a bigger SD or an ultra-fast battery charger!

Ciao!
lambonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 3:31 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by lambonet
.at the end... why don't you buy a cheap "only" 2M X20?
Don't like the fact that it has no optical viewfinder and you cannot turn off the LCD.
denomolos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 7:27 AM   #14

I thought the x20 was a better performer producing good quality photos - at least as good as the Xt ! Occasionally you have to squint at the lcd screen in very bright light - but as the optical viewfinders do not give you the full picture (80% for the XT) I find the lcd screen effective in most situations. A friend seeing the performance of my X20 - purchased 4 for his family and tells me he is mightily impressed.
Little Davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 17, 2004, 7:50 PM   #15

Little Davel has answered for me...
The viewfinder is generally not so good in most of digital cameras so people generally switch on the LCD... always if they want to take a good photo...
In this camera (X20) is nice to use a 1.6' LCD and also it's really bright so you don't have problems in any condition, read also Steve's review:

Quote:
Another of the X20's unique features is its lack of an optical viewfinder. The 1.6-inch color TFT LCD monitor serves as its viewfinder as well as its information display, menu access and review display. Thankfully Minolta has used a good color LCD with an anti- reflection coating so it's easier to see when used outdoors. We were pleased with its brightness, contrast and color rendition in all but a few outdoor environments.
link http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...gex20_pg5.html

...and I know what does it mean because I have an X20 and I carry and use it nearly everywhere!

Ciao!
lambonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 18, 2004, 2:30 PM   #16

and the X20 seems a better deal than its replacement the X21 ! I was in the states last week and been surfing the web - the X20 can be purchased very cheaply ! O to be back in Florida , now that spring is here !
Old Apr 18, 2004, 3:14 PM   #17

What's the best price for an X20 in Ontario, Canada?

I can get one in the UK for 98, inc. taxes, anyone know if Canada will be cheaper?

I'll be there in May
DeeInLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 9:09 PM   #18

Default Re: Xg Vs Xt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japair
Ok guys answer me this!

Why Is the brand new Minota DiMAGE Xg cheaper than the Xt its replacing?

The Cheapest I can find a Xt brand new is 190

But i can get a Xg for 160 right now!

Whats going on?

Chris
I think I have part of the answer, because the LCD Screen on the Xg sucks compared to the Xt.

I now have an XG and Xt side by side for comparison and the quality of the Xt screen is far better. Both in terms of mor pixels and the way it reproduces more exact colours.

The Xg is certainly less power hungry though I took a battery showing red on the Xt and put it inthe Xg and it doesn't even say battery is low.

And you can see how the auto brightener of the Xg comes in useful in low light. Basically the LCD onthe Xg is designed to frame the photo but the one on Xt is brilliant for reviewing the photo to make sure the light and colours were correct.

If I get time tomorrow I may try a side by side shoot out
DeeInLondon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 4:00 AM   #19

please let us know how you get on ! thanks
Old May 2, 2004, 1:35 AM   #20

Hi,

I can't recall the details in general that I saw and read while researching into a Digital Camera for myself, but The Dimage XT and XG were two I had a hard choice between, from what I read the Xg uses a second generation cpu while the XT uses the 1st generation for that cam.

Also in viewing both cams at a Camera store, Ask direct the Xg is just a bit smaller in physical dimensions, also from what I've read in reviews the Xg produces better images in low light conditions compared to the XT, the start up time for the XG is 0.8 seconds which is quicker than the XT.

I bought my XG about 3 weeks back now its my first camera besides ever owning and using a webcam and I'm very happy with it,

any further specific details on the cam I'm sure Ipaqman would be a better candidate at answering them
SRSpawn is offline   Reply With Quote