Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 19, 2004, 1:21 PM   #1

Default Xg Vs Xt

Ok guys answer me this!

Why Is the brand new Minota DiMAGE Xg cheaper than the Xt its replacing?

The Cheapest I can find a Xt brand new is 190

But i can get a Xg for 160 right now!

Whats going on?

Chris
Japair is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Mar 19, 2004, 1:32 PM   #2

I don't know, but it could be just because of how all technology drops in price. My first VCR was almost $300 as was my first microwave oven. Each of those can be bought for under $100 now, and they are waaaaay better than the early ones. I don't even want to think about what I paid for my first computer!
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 19, 2004, 1:43 PM   #3

Yeah good point! I did consider how tech is constantly changing & more inportantly getting cheaper! I jus didnt think it would have that much of a inpact

I wouldnt of expected the Xg to be much more expensive, after all there isnt realy anythin to shout about over the Xt

I guess it jus a little wierd to me

Chris :shock:
Old Mar 20, 2004, 12:10 PM   #4

Strange - but UK price structure appears to reflect the same situation...the Xg seems to have caught up the Xt already ! For its weaknesses it may mean that the Xt is still popular demand (it apparently is in short supply here !) and the Xg hasn't been widely reviewed or awarded anything yet.... I think I would be tempted to go for the Xg in the hope that the low light quality is improved over the Xt.
Little Davel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 10:54 PM   #5

There are a few cost cutters involved in the Dimage XG.

There is no XG charging via a docked camera. You must take the battery out to charge it in the external charger. On the other hand, the XG battery lasts almost twice as long as the XT battery.

There is no audio/video output with the XG. I supposed that the future is viewing the camera pics via USB as an external drive.

There is no DC input jack. You have to use a battery adapter like the Canon digital cameras.

There is a larger LCD with fewer pixels 85K vs 115K.

For the lower cost, you get a slightly smaller camera, a better selector knob, night mode pics, night mode movies, longer lasting battery, programmed A/E (sport, landscape, and so on), and in-camera editing functions (cropping/reframing).
IpaqMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 21, 2004, 11:07 PM   #6

hey IpaqMan

could you tell me what the night modes are like?

as thats the main reason I will be getting this Camera over the Xt

oh and thanks for the other info you've given on the Xg s'been of good use

the tripod mount on the Xg looks more centered than on the Xt and the fact that it doesn't have the DC input Jack or the craddle connection makes for a smoother/better looking design imo
Lord_of_Hair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:35 AM   #7

Default Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by IpaqMan
There is no audio/video output with the XG.
Do you mean you cant plug it into your Tv/Video, or you cant actualy Listen/Watch what you have Recorded from the camera?

Quote:
There is no DC input jack. You have to use a battery adapter like the Canon digital cameras.
Where could I get one of these, how much & do Minolta make one?

Quote:
There is a larger LCD with fewer pixels 85K vs 115K.
Is the loss in quality very noticable?

Chirs :shock:
Old Mar 22, 2004, 8:41 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord_of_Hair
...the fact that it doesn't have the DC input Jack or the craddle connection makes for a smoother/better looking design...
True but its whats on the inside that counts! Why should the cameras practicality have to suffer for the sake of its looks?

Chris :shock:
Old Mar 22, 2004, 12:59 PM   #9

The night modes set the ISO settings higher automatically, so that the pics will be "brighter". I take a lot of low light pics, so this option is very helpful.

Centering the tripod mount helps if you are using those very small and light table top tripods.

BTW, I used the AV out on my old Dimage X just once in two years and just to test it. Whenever, I wanted to share my pics, I popped the SD card into my PocketPC or my portable notebook. That was more convenient. The same goes with the DC input jack. I carry a spare battery for more power, instead.

What I love about the XG is the much longer battery life and the in-camera editing, things to shout about. Before you print to that dedicated camera printer, you can crop and reframe your pics. And you can slice up your videos to save space, all without a PC. With the cropping, you can blow up a pic beyond the normal viewing zoom to see the small details. Basically, you can crop at the normal max zoom (6.5x), save the pic, and re-crop the saved pic. That way you can tell if you need to retake that important picture.

In addition, it seems that Minolta prefers not to upgrade firmware in the X series. They prefer to sell more of these relatively inexpensive cameras. So I assume that the XG will have those tiny tweaks in the firmware that make for slightly better pics than the XT. There were tweaks going from the X to the XI to the XT.
IpaqMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 11:39 PM   #10

Hi,

Well I've Had a Dimage X, then Xi and then Xt .. I actually get my cameras from a store that gives you a no quibble return so when a new camera comes out I usually return it and get the newer one.

Before the Mintolta's I had a very Nice Nikon 775, which way kinda nicer to use BUT the Mintolta's are so small I carry them everywhere on my belt most of the time too.

So now the XG is out I have the opportunity to return the Xt and get that instead and get a refund for the Xt and save the difference on the much cheaper Xg.

I think the main attraction to me first of all is this extended battery life people are talking about, the Xg's quoted recording battery life seems to be 70% longer then the Xt ... can anyone confirm if this seems about right in the real world?

Can the Xg still be used like a webcam via USB port?

Is the USB Port now USB 2 standard? That would also be a great bonus for me.

People mention the Xg is better in low light .. what exactly is low light?? .. indoors?

I can confirm one thing and that is the noise reduction from the Xi to Xt was amazing - I took a photo of David Blaine in London in his box and had to use Digital Zoom to get close enough and the picture looked really blocky in the view finder but once I clicked on the shutter it lookedpretty darn good considering.

Has anyone actually put some photos online taken in exactly the same situation with an Xg and Xt ?

I'm off on holiday in two weeks so if the Xg is really that much better I'd want to get one soon.

Do I take it the Xg's main battery savings is due to the LCD not being quite as good as on the XT? Less pixel and not Polysilicon (whatever that means) ... either way I don't remember anything wrong with the X or Xi's screens and I do seem to remember better battery life on those then the Xt.
DeeInLondon is offline   Reply With Quote