Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Mar 30, 2004, 4:59 PM   #21

I would just go by the set that he says has no PP. The original shots are here for all to see. Look at them and see what you like. To me, the Pro1 does show a bit more detail than the other 8MP cameras. The rest are all pretty close.

They all have their ups and downs. I like the handing of the A1/2. I much prefer a mechanical zoom, I like the 28 - 200 range (a little more tele would be nice) I also like that you can do pretty much anything via a wheel or button instead of going though endless menus like other cameras I've owned. The AS feature is worth a couple of stops. The AF is FAST and is supposed to be even better on the A2.

You have to look at the features and images and pick what suits your needs best. What is important to some people, is not to others. If the A2 is not for you, thats fine. Everyone has their preferences.
sjm817 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2004, 2:01 AM   #22

As far as I'm concerned, image stabilisation is such an important feauture that I wouldn't now consider buying a camera without it. OK it's less important for wide angle shots but for a general purpose camera I think it's essential. Anyone who's familiar with shooting handguns knows how incredibly difficult it is to hold a gun absolutely steady, and the most minute movements have big effects. The same is true for photography. You can minimise the problem by using a short shutter speed, but that typically means that a 200mm shot needs 1/200sec or less. With the A2 I've taken perfectly acceptable 200mm shots at 1/30sec. The only cameras I considered were the Panasonic DMC FZ10 and the A2. I'd like the new Minolta DSLR but I think it's going to be too much money.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 4, 2004, 12:46 PM   #23

Techno

I agree with you about stabilisation. I have had an Olympus 100RS for a few years now and its stabilisation simplifies and enhances the photo-taking experience. It also makes the 10x zoom lens usable. I have moved to the A2 because of the improved resolution, as the Olympus has only 1.3Mp.

Incidentally, just like the Luminous Landscape reviewer, I had problems with the Dimage Viewer software. After two deletions and reinstallations all seems to be well.
Seamuscamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 5, 2004, 10:32 PM   #24

Default Re: A2...or A1?

Go for the A2. I had an A1 and loved it, but the EVF, faster focus, higher resolution, and DOF preview will really help you in all your shooting situations. It really comes down to bucks. The price delta is about $300, and maybe you would prefer to buy some accessories with that money versus the A2...

You cannot go wrong with the A1, and if you have the money you will really love the A2. If you take lots of macros or manual focus shots you will benefit greatly from the A2s 1mp EVF.
dmjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 6, 2004, 5:46 AM   #25

Having now processed my first RAW images (taken on a walk Hawes - Hardraw - Sedbusk in the Yorkshire Dales) I have to say I am impressed by the A2, though I still don't quite understand the Viewer software and haven't mastered all the button/ wheel options. Image quality is high; the EVF a revelation (no pun intended); buttons and wheels are much more convenient than on-screen menues. It copes well with high contrast subjects (no purple fringing). Focussing is very fast . Battery life exceptional.

The auto-switching from monitor to EVF is somehow disconcerting, but better than fiddling with buttons. Compared to my Olympus 100RS, the A2 is less manageable when carrying a walking pole - for you need two hands as zooming is a left-hand thing while shooting is a right-hand thing.

I found the relative slowness of transfer of the image to the card was mitigated by the large buffer which allows three immediate shots in RAW - but I still have to be careful not to switch off before transfer is complete. You certainly need as large and fast a CF card as you can afford.

On the topic of zoom, I don't think its use is restricted to "close-ups". I take a lot of landscape photographs and also portraits; for both the zoom is a useful means of in-camera framing, particularly as the image stabilisation removes camera shake.
Seamuscamp is offline   Reply With Quote