Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 29, 2002, 10:28 AM   #1

Default Is the Dimage 5 a good value?

I got a 7i for myself a couple of weeks ago, and it is really growing on me. My wife has fallen lens over shutter in love with it. She doesn,t need 5MP. I have been looking for the 5 for her because it was cheaper and we can share all the accessories and has that SLR feel. I have found few choices on the web. I have even checked ebay.
1. Are they worth it?
2. Any ideas where to find an economical buy?

Thanks
PS Thanks Steve for this Forum and all you guys for giving me the info about buying my 7i.
emru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2002, 2:22 PM   #2

I got a S404 (and a D7i I can borrow from my office on occasion) and was interested in something a little more manual for home so I started checking out the D5. The best prices I've seen have been in the $600 (it was $800 when I bought my 404)range and very few people have it in stock- it's becoming hard to find.

The only thing that would worry me would be the slower (and many argue much less accurate- take posts , hmm like mine, as seriously as you like) AF on th D5. It might be a little frustrating after using the 7i. I've only played with a D5 for about an hour so I'm hardly an expert.
whittonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 29, 2002, 3:46 PM   #3
NHL

Wouldn't a D7 be a better buy since with the upgrade one can almost have a D7i for the price of a D5?

http://www.stevesforums.com/forum/vi...d.php?tid=2334
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2002, 10:03 PM   #4

Default Thanks for the suggestions

I never thought about going for the D7 then upgrade firmware. Went Ebay scored a 7 for $595. We will get the upgrade after we try out the the 7. I'll let you know how it all shakes out.
Thankx again.
emru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 3, 2002, 11:04 AM   #5
NHL

It looks like you've done some homework...

5Mp is definetly better than the D5, plus this camera can also do nightvision in B/W, and the 4x magnification for manual focus is another added bonus. With the real-time histogram and 'Direct Manual Focus' overide of the upgrade, the D7 can then really holds its own against other newer cameras from other manufacturers even @ twice the price!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote