Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 1, 2004, 9:07 AM   #1

Default Travel Camera..........Please Help Help

Same old thing again.....my main camera is a Digital Rebel my wife and I feel it is to big for a travel camera especially when you also have kids to take with you.

very spoiled by the rebel (fast auto focus,no shutter lag,ability to use long zoom lens,good low light performance and great battery life) to name a few mostly great pictures

choices for the travel camera:
(1) Pentax Optio 555
(2) Minolta Z2
(3) Casio EX-P600 (when it comes out)

can any one please help.....sample pics welcome as well as some experiences.....thanks.........shkj
shkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 1, 2004, 10:46 AM   #2

I'm not familiar with the other two, but the Z2 would be a great choice. Actually, the Z1 may be an even better choice. Reason? Because you probably won't notice any difference in performance or picture quality between the Z1 and Z2, but you will notice the $150 difference in price. Just my two cents.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 11:10 AM   #3

Default Travel Camera..........Please Help Help

thanks for the help....shkj
any others will be appreciated
shkj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 3:28 PM   #4

Why not consider the A1? Personally, I prefer the wide angle view this lens offers, plus it has a great zoom range (28mm - 200mm), plus (and this is a big one in my book) the zoom is 100% manual - no zoom by wire here and finally, anti-shake.

Additionally, full manual control over the camera if wanted/needed.

Lots of sample photos in the reviews. I don't have the A1, I have the D7i, but if I was buying today, this would be at the top of a very short list.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 4:39 PM   #5

You might wait for a review of this: http://www.dcviews.com/press/Ricoh-Caplio-RX.htm 28mm wide angle zoom capability you can fit in your pocket is appealing. For travel photos a wide angle gives very nice scenic shots.

The Pentax S4/4i takes surprisingly good photos and you can use an Altoids tin as a travel case. The camera is truly pocketable and can go anywhere with you.

If you arenít taking a video camera one of the small Sonys with 640 X 480 movies might be nice. The T1 is tiny and takes 640 X 480 movies at 30fps. The downsides to the T1 is that it has no viewfinder other than the very nice LCD and the flash is so weak it is nearly useless.

A nice little all-round pocket camera is the Minolta G500. It is very reasonably priced for a 5Mp camera and has manual, aperture and shutter priority and even a zone manual focus.

The Pentax 555 gives a lot of zoom range in a small package. Other than long shutter delay it is a very competent little camera. With most non-DSLRs you learn to reduce the shutter delay by pre-focusing most of the shots.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 6:32 PM   #6

I think those recommending "A"s and "Z"s may have missed the point: Portability. I just replaced an Olympus 3040 (already fairly small) with a Minolta G400, which is easily pocketable (about the size of a pack of cigarettes). 4MP with enough creative controls to keep me happy, unlike the very automatic 5MP G500. I can't post photos yet, 'cause I literally just got it yesterday for a tip a week from now.
abergfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 6:34 PM   #7

Maybe they just have big pockets. :lol:

James
JamesDFarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 1, 2004, 8:13 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by abergfeld
I think those recommending "A"s and "Z"s may have missed the point: Portability.
Umm..'scuse me, but he listed the cameras to choose from. Of those he listed, I made a recommendation. Had he not listed any, I wouldn't have suggested anything with the SLR style body. I figure he's already got a great camera in his Digital Rebel, so I would have suggested a very small "candy bar style" pocket camera.
Old Apr 2, 2004, 2:54 PM   #9

[/quote]Umm..'scuse me, but he listed the cameras to choose from. [/quote]

You're absolutely right. My mistake. ops:

Personally, I don't find the Z any more convenient than the Rebel, which seems very light for its size, so I was thinking more along the lines of the 555 and, for my preference, even smaller in the G400.
abergfeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 2, 2004, 3:13 PM   #10

No problem. Actually, I find the Z1 to be very light and quite small. The characteristic that makes it a bit inconvenient is it's shape. You can't really put it in a coat pocket or your wife's purse. I'm still very happy with mine though!