Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 19, 2004, 1:25 PM   #11

thats it
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 10:17 AM   #12

. .. I've been in touch with 'Hoodman' & they state that they do not carry an eyepeice/hood to suit the EFV on the A2, & they also dont intend or expect to! Seems that their main 'thing' is hoods that go around the LCD. These things would have to work REALLY well because they look pretty damn cumbersome . ..

Might go look for an ordinary old-fashioned accessory eye-hood that can be made to fit, or mebbe even a scopesite hood from the gunshop .. . . if anybuddy else finds something that fits please speak up!

BrooC
BrooC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 11:59 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooC
Might go look for an ordinary old-fashioned accessory eye-hood that can be made to fit, or mebbe even a scopesite hood from the gunshop .. . . if anybuddy else finds something that fits please speak up!
These Rubber Eyeguards fit the 7xx/Ax cameras. The Standard eyeguard is used by a lot of people with 7xx/Ax cameras.
http://www.telescope.com/shopping/pr...iProductID=170
abredon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 2:20 PM   #14

Ta for that, looks good, away I go . .. . .

;-))
Old Apr 23, 2004, 2:08 PM   #15

Default To BrooC: A2 vs G2

Hi BrooC,
Just a quick question. Are you pleased with the switch from the Canon G2 to the A2? I currently have a G2, and like the quality, but would like a more responsive camera that handles/focuses better. I just don't want to step sideways (or backward!) as far as image quality. I enjoy working in RAW format. Any thoughts? Thanks,
Dave
bossie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 9:54 PM   #16

Hi Dave, FWIW I havent actually gone FROM the G2 to the A2, but I noiw have an A2 AS WELL. The G2 is still my walkaround camera that kicks around in the back of the 4WD at work etc, & its optical viewfinder is something I really miss on the A2, but the A2 has SO many other GREAT tricks & real 'features', plus quality/resolution etc that if I could only have one of the two it would be the A2, if for no other reason than the extra zoom range . .. .

As for working in RAW, I hadent got around to using that with the G2 before getting the A2 because I had heard that the Canon Rawfilke converter wasnt the best, but soon I will likely start doing Raw with the A2, so I dont think that that can be used as a decider between the two . . .

One thing I certainly do NOT like about the A2 is the quality of the EVF 'image', but I accept it as just something which I WILL just have to get used to.

I also havent yet found a warning indicator to let me know that I need to pop the flash up/open .. .mebbe there IS such a warning someplace of course & eventually I will trip over it . .. . the A2 has SO much flexibility & easily accesible functions, & as I'm a gear-freak we are meant for each other! I have actually beeb waiting for a couple of years to get my 'next' camera after the G2, & so many intervening models from different manufacturers have initially seemed good but on close examination have had major 'glitches' (in MY eye ay least) but I hardly hesitated with the A2, especially compared to what I saw as the inadequacies of the other 4 current competitors in the class.

I hope that helps, I reckon the A2 is a gem, but/& I still enjoy the G2 for its' relative simplicity.

Cheers
BrooC
Old Apr 24, 2004, 2:50 AM   #17

Default Thanks BrooC, much appreciated! (nt)

Thanks!
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:49 AM   #18

he found it now
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:54 PM   #19

Hey Dave, gosee Mikes' overview at;-
http://luminous-landscape.com/review...oosing-8.shtml

He rates the A2 & F828 as first equal of the five 8mpx digicams, with a personal preference towards the A2 . .. . which was my own call before chosing the A2 . .. .. .I found the 828 was just TOO big a lump & I dont trust the mechanical risk of all the body weight being kinda 'hinged' off the lens, I reckon dirt could play hell in there ~ as well as the damage that a bit of a thump might cause ...

I have to wonder about his concerns re build-quality. Sure, Minolta should have had the production line dialed in better before shipping the new model, but mebbe reviewers were given units that were just too early off the line ~ we dont seem to have heard too much other bitching about fault-returns etc from new owners . .. .

I'm also wondering about the 'perceived' reservations on material quality & 'feel' .. .. which is a very subjective thing. Sure, I would far rather it had a full magnesium frame with chrome & brass trim & leather facings, all in a heavy REAL leather case etc etc, but if THAT option was twice the price with the same inner 'features', or the same price but without antishake or auto-switching between screens or the good-sized writebuffer etc etc well I'ld still settle for rxactly the one we got now . .. . as long as it does the job adequately )or even 'better than the rest' as seems the case) I'll accept having to get used to a slightly plastic-y feel .. . just as I have to get used to the EVF not being as good as optical etc etc.

Speakin of all of which, with use I'm finding the zoom mechanism is getting noticeably smoother .. . . I might try some additional 'running-in' by giving it an hour or three of exercise while I'm watching the TV!!!!!

Cheers
BrooC
Old Apr 26, 2004, 11:05 AM   #20

Hi BrooC,
Thanks for the info. I've read Michael's review (and lots of other info), and agree that the handling/feature set is great. After having used an A2 a bit at Fry's, I think it is very well thought out. My concern is that the image quality is a step up from the G2. I'm waiting now for Imaging-Resources review which uses some standard "real world" tests. Hopefully, he will address the RAW vs in-camera jpg quality question. It sure is nice to have sites like these (Thanks Steve!) to use as resources.
Dave