Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 8, 2004, 12:24 AM   #1

Default Bright vertical lines !! ? Broken Z1 ?

My Z1 is only 2 weeks old - took wonderful pics in Jamaica.

Turned it on yesterday and there are bright blue vertical lines across both LCD and viewfinder when the camera is pointed towards any bright light source!

Two notes... these lines dont show up on actual pictures AND they rotate with the camera.

PLEASE dont tell me its something wrong with the internal mirror system. I did wipe it down with a cloth to get off any post vacation suntan lotion. Could it be something on the lens and what can I use to safely clean any residue off without affecting special coatings, etc?

Very worried..... Please give me your insights.

Julian
Julian B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 8, 2004, 3:17 AM   #2

I don't think you have a problem with your camera. Mine will do the same thing when there is a bright light in the field of view. Try looking at a bright lamp in a relatively dark room and it's even more pronounced. As you say, it doesn't affect the actual picture so it's an annoyance rather than a defect. I think I've seen this mentioned before happening on more expensive cameras with dedicated EVF's. Perhaps darkening the screen in the setup menu would help. I've not tried this as I didn't consider it a problem.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 7:53 AM   #3

Mine does it too. If I'm in my basement, and point the camera toward any of the exposed lightbulbs, I get those blueish vertical lines on my LCD. Like you said, they don't show up on the photos, so I just ignore it.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 8, 2004, 9:51 AM   #4

Thanks for the replies.... nice to know I am not alone BUT

I used the camera for two weeks straight ( 250 pics)and never saw a hint of a line before in the viewfinder. I find them very bright and highly distracting - like bright headlights on an oily windscreen at night

Like I said the only thing I did was clean the outside AND lens with a soft cloth.... so I'm wondering if this is an oily residue on the lens causing refraction inside the reflecting mechanisms?

If so, what can I safely clean the lens with without affecting the factory lens coating?

Thanks again

Julian
Old Apr 10, 2004, 2:57 AM   #5

Looks like we're having the same issue. Maybe I'll contact Minolta next week and see if this is supposed to happen or not.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10, 2004, 7:51 AM   #6

Hey Murphy,

I hope you can get an answer out of them....

I called yesterday, had a polite girl over the phone who " had never seen or heard of this problem before". The fact that there are three of us on this board alone indicates the contrary! All she did was email me the form to ship it back to them for repairs....

Well before I send it back I would like to see if there 's a simple quick fix....

I will go to one of Minolta's local (NON-digital) shops and ask for some advice....BTW a Newbie question: What can I clean greasy fingerprints off the lens with?????

Have a great holiday weekend

Julian
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:27 AM   #7

dont' worry ... it's normal!
I will add something more... try to make a video of a candle or other light source in darkness... you will see that this vertical line WILL BE PRESENT also in the video and if youwill rotate the camera... it will rotate too!
This a limit of every optical set+CCD... not only foryour model!
E.g. I have a X20 and has the same "problem"...
If you search in other newsgroups/web pages you will read the same... for every brand and model of digital cameras or digital videocameras...!

Don't worry! That's all right!

Ciao!
lambonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15, 2004, 3:31 AM   #8

I have bought Z2. Also have these blue vertical lines in front of bright light. Think it is due to the lens coating (internal light reflections). Maybe cheap coating of lenses, while cleaning it getting thinner. Suggestion to try polarising filter (haven't tried, because don't have one). But will be thankfull for one who tell me if it worked.
Rayfire is offline   Reply With Quote