Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Aug 31, 2002, 1:44 PM   #1

Default 71 Camera Shake, very dissapointing results.

We took our 7i to a wedding last night, it's first real "live" test. Out of almost 40 shots, less than half a dozen are clear, the rest are all blurry. We had trouble in the beginning with the camera shake warning and tried a tripod, even on the tripod hitting the shutter button still brought out the warning, so we bought a remote which fixes it while on the tripod. Hand held is another story, the warning comes on a soon as you hit the shutter to focus, it doesn't seem to matter what you do. I tried bracing myself against a wall, even setting it on the table to shoot, the warning STILL comes on. We're shooting in full auto with the ISO at 100. I hope there's some cure for this, because it's seeming like this is a studio camera, and will be pretty much useless for personal use especially on vacation which is one reason we bought it. So far I wish we kept our Kodak DC290, great pictures every time, you could almost run with it and the shots were still clear. HELP!!!!
Todd
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 31, 2002, 2:36 PM   #2

since the camera shake icon was on did you use the built in strobe? thats what it's trying to tell you. pop up the strobe it will go away. if it's in low light without a strobe it's going to be a low shutter speed thus blurry shots. even on a tripod because of low shutter speed you are going to get blurred images because of the movement. the built in strobe is only good out to about 10-12 ft. the built in strobe will not auto pop up. it's not designed to. set your AF Mode to "single" other wise it will hunt for focus point constantly. think about a bigger strobe like the hs3600d or hs5600d if your going to do a lot of distance shots requiring a flash. the d is important due to the way digitals sync to the strobe. they range from $180-$380. there are other strobes just starting to come out that will work also.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2002, 5:26 PM   #3

Upalms,
To complement sjms's comment , the camera can't know you are using tripod or hand held, or bolt it into concrete . The warning is just to remind you that it gonna use a low speed , that's about all , and the ISO100 worsen the thing ( the camera has to step down in speed) .
Hand held can give acceptable result , even in night shot ,
This night shot , and also this one are hand held , ( the first is at sec ) , and all shots in that folder (Chicago) are handheld .

May be there is another factor : the subject moves , although imperceptible , but sufficient to blur the pic ( check the background of your pic ?)
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2002, 5:44 PM   #4

Default What ISO to use?

Thanks for the help, I'll try playing with the strobe. If the 100 ISO makes it worse, what setting would you suggest, did I go in the wrong direction?
Upalms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2002, 7:51 PM   #5

ISO 100 gives the most noise free image but as you see may require too slow a shutter speed. Going to a higher ISO will make shutter speeds under the same conditions faster but the tradeoff is noise and grain. The better thoice is often to use flash but that's not always possible.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 31, 2002, 9:34 PM   #6

i personally let the iso ride in auto. it hasn't failed me yet. in a strobe shot it never went above iso 200 so far using a hs5600d.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 3:32 AM   #7

Default The shakes

Set the ISO to 200, pop up the flash and shoot. Unless you do something really stupid it works every time. Adopt the usual "brace" position, arms in, firm grip on the camera, control your breathing, just like shooting a good rifle. Practice around the house before you go to any function to get your techniques up to speed, after all, you won't waste any film. Shooting digital doesn't make you a better photographer, you still have to work at it. On a personal level all my duff shots (that's most of them!) have been my fault, not the camera's. Still love my D7UG to bits, and next year's Minolta is going to have to be really outstanding to get my money.
David Crosby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 1, 2002, 10:12 AM   #8

My point was it's not always possible or preferable to use flash. Flash can be extremely distracting or sometimes not allowed like at a wedding ceremony. If your only choice of flash is the bult in one you may prefer not to get the flat, harsh light it gives.

The D7 is well suited to studio use but works like a demon in the field too. I got some shots at a night club under varying conditions with and wihout flash. With flash I'd keep to ISO 100 to get best quality but I needed to get some distant shots so set to ISO 800 and shot at full telephoto with the camera well braced. I've had lots of practice at slow shutter speeds and was able to make it work with no camera blur though some motion blur.

A couple alternatives to avoid camera blur when y ou can't use a tripod are a monopod or a tabletop tripod. I always keep my Bogen 3008 in my bag.

FWIW I've got a better flash so I prefer to avoid using the built in flash whenever possible.

Upalms, as you progress in photography you'll learn when to use all the adjustments to get the most from your camera.
padeye is offline   Reply With Quote