Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 20, 2004, 1:25 PM   #1

Default Focus on Z1

I like the features on my Z1 (which I've had for about two months), but sometimes it is difficult to focus in AUTO mode, especially if it's indoors and need a flash. Is there anyway to over the AF and focus manually? Any tricks?
rockmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 20, 2004, 2:49 PM   #2

Yes, you can focus manually. It won't allow you to access that feature if you have the camera set to "Auto", so you'll need to change it to "P" or one of the other settings first. Then scroll through your menus untill you see where it allows you to swtich between "auto" and "manual" focus. It's covered in the owner's manual as well.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2004, 4:08 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply! I looked it up and did find the topic in the manual. I should have gone by the old acronym we used when I worked in data processing: RTFM!
rockmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 3:22 AM   #4

Simple trick to help Z1 focus in the darkness.

Take a simple flashlight (the one you use at home when lights are out) or a lamp, point at the subject and autofocus will be able to lock. Then take photo with a flash. The light of flash is much stronger, so you shouldn't see any flaslight marks.

Inconvenience is that you have to point a flashlight directly to a face of one you wish to take photo of.
Rayfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 7:24 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayfire
... The light of flash is much stronger, so you shouldn't see any flaslight marks.
You obviously haven't seen some of my flashlights! 8)

That is a neat trick. I'll have to try it.
gadgetnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 21, 2004, 12:59 PM   #6

When I first got my Z1 I overlooked the part in the manual, but a user here reminded me you can set the custom key function (the flash button on top of the camera, behind the macro button) for one of five functions, including focus. That way you just hit a button to go back and forth between AF and MF. If you switch between AF and MF more often than you would switch types of flash, it might be good to set that key for focus.
murphyc is offline   Reply With Quote