Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 21, 2004, 2:51 PM   #1
mdc

Default Should I buy a Z2

I have read the Z2 review carefully and I still have some questions.
Is really the low light focusing a problem? It should have a AF assited lamp? If it is so, should I move to Olympus C-750UZ or C-770 or jump to 5 MP Sony DSC-V1?
mdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 21, 2004, 5:13 PM   #2

Check out the review at Megapixel.net and see the section on test photos. Towards the bottom of that page, they have photos taken in dark. Basically, by using the manual mode and long exposure, along with teh internal noise reduction technology, the Z2 itakes good pics. This could be problem for action pics in low light, but the CCD should compensate for that by increasing the brightness. Read the following link: http://www.megapixel.net/reviews/min...z2-review.html
photo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 11:47 AM   #3

I have a Z1 whose auto focus is very similiar if not exactly the same as the Z2. The only time I've had problems with the auto focus not locking is when trying to take a picture in a relatively dark room at night (my 14' x 20' family room with only one 100W lamp on one side of the room). Even then, if the object or person is fairly close to the light the camera will focus.

I've not tried many outside night shots. I'd think they would also be a problem even with a focus assist lamp especially if trying for night time landscapes. Of course, you can always switch to manual focus if needed. One thing about these cameras I like is the amplified LCD screen in low light. You can see better through the camera than you can with the naked eye when it's dark. It might not autofocus but you can see to focus manually.

One thing I do know is that auto focus technology has come a long way since I bought my Minolta Maxxum 7000 SLR years ago. Even with its focus assist lamps on the flash it doesn't even compare with the Z1 in speed of or ability to focus in low light.

I have no experience with the other cameras you mentioned. I only offer this from my experience with the Z1. I don't consider low light auto focus ability of the Z1 to be a negative issue.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 22, 2004, 8:12 PM   #4
Tik

Default Re: Should I buy a Z2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdc
I have read the Z2 review carefully and I still have some questions.
Is really the low light focusing a problem? It should have a AF assited lamp? If it is so, should I move to Olympus C-750UZ or C-770 or jump to 5 MP Sony DSC-V1?
Some people forget what it was like when we only shot film - expectations are so high now it's expected that digicams focus properly in ridiculous situations - with some thought they can be pursuaded & intelligent use of the flash helps - i.e. diffuse the flash through tissue etc.
You can also manually focus - I have the flash button set to manual focus in case I need it quickly.

Minoilta is a good cam.

Tik is offline   Reply With Quote