Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 23, 2004, 10:36 AM   #1

Default A2 Owner review...

I've owned my A2 for about 3 weeks now. I love it more and more every day. It is true what they say about it exhibiting some purple fringing and excessive noise. The fact of the matter is, ALL the 8mp's will have this and it isn't NEAR as bad as what you've read. As long as you are willing to only use ISO 64-200 you will be fine. The purple fringing can be easily fixed in PS. I only shoot in RAW, and then post process with PS CS. The picture quality is great. You can check out a couple pictures Iíve taken by visiting www.photosig.com and searching for member JayRob. I would paste the link to my pictures but am writing this from lunch and canít access Photosig from work. I think I have 3 pictures from the A2 posted. The last one shows the detail the camera is capable of exhibiting. The better acquainted I get with the A2 the better the pictures are. This camera is better than what most people's potential is. Chances are if you are reading this, the A2 is a powerful enough tool for you. Otherwise you would be a full-blown professional and looking at the Kodak 14mp or Canon 1D and be willing to spend $10K for the body and lens. This camera has a wealth of valuable features. I've shot with all the 8mp cameras and the A2 was the most comfortable, and had the fastest RAW shot times. I love it and think you will too if you are willing to learn how to use it.

p.s. I will try to remember to post the exact link to Photosig when I get homeÖ
funkriders is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2004, 11:18 PM   #2

Hey Funk, Hi, tell me, what prgramme do you use to convert your Minolta 'Raw' files? Is whatever comes in the Dimage Viewer package adequate, or is it worth going to something else?

Ta

BrooC
BrooC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:10 PM   #3

The DiMAGE Image Viewer does an excellent job of converting the Ax RAW files, but it is an inadequate photo editor, so you will need to follow the RAW processing with a more capable editor such as Photo Shop (I use PSP 8 ).

There are PS plug-ins that convert Minolta RAW, but from what I've read, the only one that is comparable [or better] than the DiMAGE Image Viewer is a plug in from Dalibor Jellineck [sp?]. I intend to get the Dalibor plug-in when he releases a version compatible with PSP 8 in order to simplify my work flow.

http://www.dalibor.cz/minolta/
jawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 12:28 PM   #4

Ta fer that, would be good of you to post a link some day ~ when ya have the spelling sussed eh!

BrooC ;-))
BrooC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 2004, 5:39 PM   #5

jawz is correct that the Dimage software does a great job in converting. I use photoshop CS to convert everything. It is better quality than using the Dimage software to convert to a Tiff and then to open and edit with PS. I have compared the quality of the photo after I opened it with CS and the Dimage software, I see no differences. Photoshop CS also has a great browser that allows you to page through your RAW files without opening everyone.
funkriders is offline   Reply With Quote