Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 23, 2004, 5:32 PM   #1

Default Big problem with color of my pictures

Hi!

I just bought a Minolta Dimage Z1 and my video's and pictures are mostly red and it's like if I didn't have any color...

The blue is showing velvet, the yellow is orange, the orange is dark orange, the red is orange too... The white is a little pinkish...

It's very bad.... I'm so confused about that. I know that I can set the color parameter, and the setting is in natural color. Not in sepia or black and white...

Anyone can help my fix it or should I return the camera....?

Thanks

Alexine[/img]
alexine is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 23, 2004, 6:06 PM   #2
Administrator

Disclaimer:
I do not own your camera model , so my advise is "general" to digital camras.

Alexine:

I've seen no complaints of color problems with the Z1 (but, I haven't been looking for any).

What you are describing sounds like a White Balance Problem.

Different lighting has different temperatures, and the camera must be able to determine what type of lighting is present to accurately represent colors.

Your camera model has settings for White Balance as follows:

Automatic, Preset (Daylight, Cloudy, Tungsten, Fluorescent, Flash), Custom

Most newer models do an "OK" job with Automatic Light Balance. However, sometimes Incadescent or Flourscent Lighting can cause a color cast (and inaccurate colors). Mixed lighting can be even more challenging to a camera.

I'd make sure that you didn't accidently set the White Balance to a preset or custom setting first (you could have it set to Daylight or Flash, when the lighting is Incandescent).

If it is already on Auto (and you're still getting inaccurate colors), try setting it for the type of lighting you are taking your photos in, using one o f the preset choices.

If both Auto and Presets do not work properly in your lighting, then you can use a Custom Setting. The user guide should explain how to use this feature with your model. Basically, you'll be taking a photo of a white or grey card in the lighting conditions you're in, then the camera can base it's color rendention on your test shot for more photos in the same lighting.

If all else fails, see if there is a way to go back to the Camera Defaults. Most models have a menu choice that will reset everything back to the way the camera came from the factory (or should have come from the factory).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2004, 8:10 PM   #3
Tik

Default Re: Big problem with color of my pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexine
Hi!

I just bought a Minolta Dimage Z1 and my video's and pictures are mostly red and it's like if I didn't have any color...

The blue is showing velvet, the yellow is orange, the orange is dark orange, the red is orange too... The white is a little pinkish...

It's very bad.... I'm so confused about that. I know that I can set the color parameter, and the setting is in natural color. Not in sepia or black and white...

Anyone can help my fix it or should I return the camera....?

Thanks

Alexine[/img]
I bet you are taking photos indoors ??
If you are that's what can happen - if you are turn the dial to 'p' mode press menu button - go to the white balance option - goto 'preset' - and use the left/right button to select the icon that looks like a light bulb - that should improve the colours - don't forget to set it back to 'auto' when you go outdoors.

Z1 pics should look like this outdoors.

Chris
Tik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:00 AM   #4

Hi!

Thank you for your inputs on my problems... But everything was set on auto mode even the whitebalance. I have this color problem with the video mode too. It's blue there are no color. And the color mode is normal , not sepia or black and white... Maybe I should contact the company ...

Thanks anyway, and I just can't wait to take good pictures like the one I received in this message...

Alex

I would like to post an image to show what it does but I'm not able to do it...
Old Apr 24, 2004, 9:19 AM   #5
Administrator

Alexine:

Did you try to reset everything to factory defaults?

According to Steve's review of your camera, a Reset Defaults menu choice is on page 3 of the Setup menu:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_reviews/z1_pg4.html

This would set all settings back to factory defaults. It's possible that you have something else set wrong causing the problems (metering mode, exposure compensation, etc.). It could even be something as simple as overexposing your photos.

Of course, you could have a defective camera.

It would help to see what you are talking about.

You may want to setup a trial account at http://www.pbase.com (free trial). This would let you upload a few photos for users to see.
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 2004, 11:03 AM   #6

Hi!

I tried to reset the camera setting and it didn't work. Someone told me that it could be a magnetism problem maybe in the shipment...

So I'll contact minolta on Monday to see if they can help me with that. Meanwhile I'll try to post some photos on the site you talked about and I'll come back to you as soon as I can!!

Thank you sooo very much for your int's

Alex