Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Apr 24, 2004, 2:15 PM   #1

Default My first A2 thoughts

Based on reviews and a short test just outside the shop, I went for an A2.

Opened the box and my first thought, as I put it all together, was "The lens cap doesn't stay with the camera, I'm going to lose this". Now, I know its a small thing but I am used to it being on the end of some string !!!!

OK, once over that disappointment, I am delighted by the results. Very clear, superb details and good colouration. I used the best res in fine mode and am happy with the results.

I have only taken 23 pictures - the battery only had whatever charge was in from the manufacturer. Its upstairs charging now....

One question, how many shots do you get from a full charge ?

Alan
alan sh is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Apr 25, 2004, 7:08 PM   #2

Default Battery staying power

Hi,

On one occasion I took 200+ pictures, full res, extra-fine, using auto EVF/LCD switching, and downloaded them to the pc using the camera rather than a card reader, and there was still charge in the battery.
Charon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 7:06 AM   #3

Thanks for that info. Since I can only get 123 images off my 512mb card, I think I should be OK.....

Now, to suss out this focussing lark !
Old Apr 26, 2004, 1:15 PM   #4

Not impressed. Gave the battery a full charge. It took 26 photos and is dead again. This was 25 yesterday, downloaded them this morning and went out again. Took 1 RAW one and the battery died trying to save it.

Does the battery get better or have I got a dud system ?
Old Apr 26, 2004, 2:38 PM   #5

you waited for the light to go out on the charger right?. that battery delivers 200 plus images at full res generally.
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 26, 2004, 3:59 PM   #6

Yes, I left it in there for long enough.

Next problem, I remove the battery to charge it (which takes 2.5 hrs) - meanwhile my A2 is sitting there with no battery. Put the battery back in and all my settings have gone back to the default.

Actually, most settings are OK, its the quality and autofocus options which keeps resetting - so it could be me ???
Old Apr 27, 2004, 7:26 AM   #7

I'd say you had a duff battery. Take it back and complain and they'll give you a new one. These things cost almost nothing to the manufacturer and some will always be faulty.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 8:02 AM   #8
hst

Default Fully charge the battery first

From what your saying it sounds like you took pictures right when when you got the camera. You are suppose to fully charge the batteries before taking any pictures. There is normally a warning label telling you to do that. It may have messed something up with the battery or you may just have a bad battery.
hst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:32 AM   #9

This time, I fully charged the battery, left it overnight and then sat it on my desk with the lcd running. Every so often, I clicked the shutter. Every 20 or so clicks, I downloaded the files to the computer.

I got 74 photos before the low battery warning came on - on about a 3 hour period. All with the LCD running.

So, it is getting slowly better. But I have still ordered a spare battery just in case.....
Old Apr 27, 2004, 5:08 PM   #10

More observations:

There seems to be some bugs in the firmware.

1. I was taking the photos mentioned before. No changes, just pressing the shutter. On putting them onto the computer I noticed that one of them was at 1600 x 1200 - all the rest are 8mp. No idea why.

2. I have the numbering set to carry on even after I format a card. I formatted the CF card and went downstairs to take odd flash pictures while I was watching TV. Came back up to copy them to the computer and noticed that the first one was numbered number 1 and the rest carried on starting at 137 onwards.

Most weird. I hope they produce a firmware upgrade soon !

Focussing: Like one of the reviews I got odd snaps where it didn't seem to focus. But, I think I know why (and I'm not that impressed). First off, iff you use the default focussing, sometimes it doesn't fdocus where you think it should - especially in low light. So, at low F stops, the DOF can be wrong for where you are looking. Second, in low light it can take 5-10 seconds to focus properly - if you don't wait, it won't be in focus. I am talking really low light - like 1/3 sec at F3.5 where you should be using a flash (but it still needs to focus first).

This beast could really use an AF lamp. I use the centre focussing (the cross hairs) all the time now and it seems to be better for it.

The story continues !!