Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 2, 2004, 6:30 PM   #1

I've had a few minoltas over the years and so of course I have plenty of lenses. Currently a Minolta xTSi that's gotten me through college pretty well. Now with a real job I'm looking at something like the A1 or A2 and just wanted to be sure all of my old lenses will work with these. It's my understanding that they will, just haven't seen anything specific about it in the specs detailing these two cameras. Thanks for your help!
DaveinPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 2, 2004, 7:04 PM   #2
Administrator

Sorry, but the A1 and A2 models are NOT Digital SLR's.

They are considered "prosumer" models, and use a permanently mounted 7.2mm - 50.8mm lens (equivalent to a 28mm-200mm lens on a 35mm camera).

Because these models use a very tiny 2/3" CCD Sensor, it lets the manufacturers build a camera with a much smaller lens, to get the same equivalent focal range in a 35mm model.

According to lots of posts on various photographyforums, Konica-Minolta will be releasing a DSLR sometime this year. Although details are sparse, it will likely be able touse the lenses from yourcamera. However, you'll end up with a crop factor with your lenses.

Chances are, it will use an APS Size sensor (dramatically larger than the tiny sensors used in non-DSLR models, but still smaller than 35mm film). So, you'll probably need to multiply the focal length of your existing lenses by around 1.6 to get the "equivalent focal length" on a 35mm camera.

In other words, a 28mm - 80mm lens for your 35mm camera will likely become a 45mm -128mm "equivalent"lens when used on the upcoming Konica-Minolta DSLR.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 9:44 PM   #3
Administrator

Here is the press release on the upcoming Minolta DSLR. It should be available sometime in the Fall of this year:

http://www.steves-digicams.com/pr/mi...dynax7_pr.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote