Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 23, 2004, 5:59 AM   #21

Thanks Kilbride, the low light problem doesn't bother me because as you said it's a problem for a lot of digital cameras. The lack of stabilization is one thing i was thinking about, I think i'm fairly steady when holding a camera but with 10x zoom any movement wouldshow up more, that's why i was hoping to see some 10x handheld shots. I suppose i'd really have to test myself to see how steady i really am. The viewfinder sticking is another thing. There must be loads of these cameras out there but there aren't many complaints with this problem so it must be isolated cameras with the fault. As for the video, I have a Canon powershot A60 at the moment and when i got it i thought i'd be using the video all the time but the truth is i've barely touched it. I know the video is better quality on the Z2 and i think with all the complaints the i've seen on here with sound lag that Minolta will find a fix for this. I'd probably find a way round it if i needed to anyway. Thanks for the input Kilbride, i'll keep an eye on thisthread and see what else crops up. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:21 AM   #22

Hi

I have taken many 10 xzoom handheld, and very few sufferend from shake, all taken on auto mode, and all taken in a hurry because there are small children either in the shot, or about to do something dangerous behind me whilst I take the shot. !

I take a lot of indoor shots, and do not experience the low light focus problems as frequently as I had feared when I bought the camera. VERY VERY pleased with all aspects of this camera. (except of course the video sound lag, but that is resolvable and not worth the palava of choosing another camera for !!)

Lizzy
kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:40 AM   #23

kathmandu, can you show us a couple of your 10x shots on here ?. :-)
Old Jun 23, 2004, 9:10 AM   #24

jackrussell wrote:
Quote:
Has anyone got any handheld 10x zoom shots they can show me. I'm thinking about getting a Z2when i can get the cash together. I'll get it in town though just in case i have any problems then i can just get it exchanged for another quickly. I've read of a couple of potential problems with this camera lately such as the viewfinder getting stuck and the sound lag in movie mode. How many of you Z2 users have experienced any of these problems, are they just isolated incidents ?. Thanks. :-)
I thought I had some shots for you. I took a number of shots of my daughter water skiing over the weekend. That's tough because your picture taking platform is moving and your subject is also moving, many times in opposite directions.Most all of the shots were sharp but after looking at the exif info I seethey were shot at a bit over 200mm (closer to 6x zoom). The shots were exposed withshutter speeds of 1/500 to 1/750. To get hand held shots at 10x zoom I'd think you'd need at least these shutter speeds. I'll see if I can find other shots that I used max zoom.

As for the sound delay on movies, I took a 3 minute movie of my daughter singing. I used 640 x 480 format and 15 fps. I wasconcerned thatthe 30 fps which records at over 1 MB per second would fill up my card before the song was done. I have the Panasonic 256 MB card which is rated at 10MB/sec speedand I am hard pressed to see any lag in the audio. If there islag it can be measured in milliseconds not tenths of seconds. My camera, the Z1, does not have the 800 x 600 format so I can't comment on that mode.

I bought the Z1 just before the Z2 came out. I've been very pleased with it. I likehaving the 10x zoom, the flip up fairly powerful(for an inbuilt)flash,the easy to understand and rememberuser interface, the shot to shot speed, the fact that the EVF is a mirror view of the LCD (it's almost like having an SLR) and even the "Star Trek" look of the thing. I am not concerned by low light autofocus difficulties.Most autofocus cameras have the same problem. I've been using autofocus cameras since my Minolta Maxxum 7000 film camera and I know howto get around any such problems.The Z1/Z2, as well as most modern cameras,are worlds aheadof the original autofocus system used on the old Maxxum.If I was buying a camera right now it would be the Z2. The only thing I'd change would be to have the zoom go from28 to280 or 30 to 300 instead 38 to 380. I'd rather have more wide angle and less telephoto. I bought the ZCW-100 adapter lens and I'm not very impressed with that thing. I've posted info about that before. It's more trouble than it's worth inmy humble opinion.

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 9:28 AM   #25

Thanks Puck. I know you're happy with your camera as i've seen some of your earlier posts. How long have you had your camera without any problems, i've noticed a couple of people who have got the camera and it had problems with the viewfinder after a few weeks. I originally got a camera for taking shots of buildings and a few landscape type shots around my town and didn't think i'd need much zoom. My Canon A60 only has 3x zoom but i think i might like a 10x for my next camera after seeing some of the wildlife shots in these forums. The other day we had a squirrell hopping along the fence at the bottom of the garden then he came into the garden and sat in a big pot chewing on something, if i'd had the 10x zoom i'd have got a good photo of him. So i'd like the big zoom just in case i see anything like that again, i can have the best of both worlds then. I can still shoot the buildings that i need and there's a chance of some long zoom shots too. I'm fairly sure this will be my next camera, especially as the price is always dropping. :-)
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:07 AM   #26

jackrussell wrote:
Quote:
How long have you had your camera without any problems, i've noticed a couple of people who have got the camera and it had problems with the viewfinder after a few weeks. :-)
I got the Z1 on March 1 of this year. No problems so far and I use it3 to4 times per week. I normally use the EVF to take pictures but I constantly change back to the LCD to view the pictures. The 10x zoom is great to have although I seldom zoom out to max. You just have to remember that you need high shutter speeds or a tripod to use that long 380mm tele. The camera has a little "hand" which displays as a shake warning if it thinks the shutter speed is too slow for for the zoom you have set. Believe it, because it's normally right! There's no way I can hold a camera steady enough to take a picture in low light with max zoom. I tried taking pictures at a live concert with max zoom and tried to steady the camera on a hand rail. No joy - but the movie clips came out pretty good.

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 10:27 AM   #27

LOL!! My camera waves at me sometimes too. :-)I usually see it when shooting indoors without the flash. I wonder if i'd get away with it outdoors. I think if i was struggling i'd use a beanbag and selftimer so i could keep my hands off it. :-)
Old Jun 23, 2004, 11:25 AM   #28

Hi

At work at moment so no pictures with me, but will try if I get time when I get home after the kids in bed !

Kathmandu
Old Jun 23, 2004, 5:37 PM   #29

Hi

Here is one of some flowers

Some more to follow........
Attached Images

Old Jun 23, 2004, 5:37 PM   #30

Hi

Here is one of some flowers

Some more to follow........