Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 7, 2004, 11:57 AM   #1

[align=left]I just bought a dimage z2 having used a Fuji Finepix 4700 for a lot of years.[/align]
[align=left]When using the optical viewfinder it appears as tho there is a grid or fine mesh over the screen showing the frame being shot. It gives the impression that the shot is being filmed over a fine artists canvas.It's not that off putting - nor is it there in the printed picture.It's just not something I'm used to. I have tried fiddling with the diopter adjustment but it makes no difference[/align]
[align=left]Is this usual for an Ev viewfinder ? I'm ver curious. What do you see when you look thru the Dimage z2 lens using the viewfinder rather thn the lcd ?[/align]
[align=left][/align]
[align=left]Thanks [/align]
[align=left]Kay[/align]
Kayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 9, 2004, 12:43 AM   #2

I have a Z1 which is basically the same camera and I've noticed the same thing. These camerasdon't have a separate EVFbut instead reflect the main LCD screen through a unique mirror arrangement up to the eye level view finder. I'm not sure why it looks more grainy this way, perhaps it has something to do with the reduction of image size by the mirror and then magnification by the diopter adjustable optics in the viewfinder. As you say, it's not really a problem because it does not affect the actual image quality. I've never looked through the viewfinder of a camera that had anEVF separate from the main LCD screen so I don't know how these two views compare on that type of camera.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 8:59 AM   #3

Thanks for your input !! I'm glad it's not a 'fault' with the camera

My next project is to record some video with it and see if I can edit in Windows Moviemaker without having recourse to do the firmware update in order to maintain the soundtrack.

I am always nervous about 'updating' a product I have only just bought.

Does anyone else have any comments about the Minolta Z2 ? I bought mine in the uk for 320 quid. But amazon uk are doing it even cheaper. So far I love it. Especiallly the ten X zoom which up to now I could only get on my Mini dv camcorder.
Kayz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 12:41 PM   #4

Hi

I just bought the Z2 last week, taken 500 photos - very pleased with all the shots inside and out, far and near ! Lots of pictures of 2 x fast moving little boys and didn't miss a thing. I got it for £249 from Jessops who price matched the internet - (originallyit was £329 on the shelf - what a mark up!)

A query I posted earlier I hope to get feed back on regarding re-playing the video on the computer, the high res. modes are very jerky, can't believe my computer specs aren't up to it - let me know how your high res movies go.

What is the firmware that needs updating for?

Not sure if I should invest in a lens adaptor and UV filter for protection more than anything, never owned such an expensive camera! Trouble is it then won't fit in the snug minolta case I have just ordered, oh the decisions they never stop having to be made !!

Lizzy

kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 2:01 PM   #5
MrE

Iam investing in a lens adaptor and UV filter for protection too, lmk if you get one and what it is like. I am concerned that the lens adaptor will interfere with the camera lens closing on shut down. MMmmmmmm the choices, your right they never end :-)
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 4:11 PM   #6

MrE wrote:
Quote:
I am concerned that the lens adaptor will interfere with the camera lens closing on shut down. MMmmmmmm the choices, your right they never end :-)
With the Minolta ZCA-100 or othergeneric adapters (45mm to 52mm) there is no problem with inteference with the lens closing. They fit around and do not touch the lens assembly. I have a ZCA-100 that came with my Minolta wide angle add-on lens (ZCW-100) plus one of thegeneric adapters I had bought earlier so I'm sure there is no problem with either.

As for the "snug fitting" case, I don't know how much room is in the case but the camera plus lens adapter would probably not fit.
Old Jun 4, 2004, 8:02 AM   #7

THanks for info. Now thinking about getting the wide angle lens - is it worth it, bearing in mind I am taking pictures of children indoors and out, will I get a lot of use out of it, what are your main uses for the wide angle.

Thanks

Lizzy
kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 4, 2004, 12:39 PM   #8

Here's a shot showing the soft corners of the zcw-100 wide angle adapter. It's more evident on the full size image. This has been down sized to fit here. I guess it's not too bad if you don't place anything important at the corners of your picture.
Attached Images

Old Jun 4, 2004, 1:05 PM   #9

Here's a shot showing the shadow cast by the zcw-100 wide angle adapter when you take a flash picture with the inbuilt flash. Thecurefor this is to use an external flash. The picture also showsbarrel distortion. The normal lens has some barrel distortion at wide angle as it is. The adapter seems to increase it.

To me, the shadowwith flash pictures makes the adapter unusable for flash pictures unless you have an external flash. I don't and after checking the prices of the Minolta flashes that work with the Z1 & Z2 I probably won't get one - too expensive!Most of the time I've found the 38mm (35 mm equivalent) wide angle of the lens is wide enough.

After taking a few pictures with the zcw-100, I now doubt if I would have bought it knowing what I know now. Perhaps it will be useful for those times I'm too close to a subject such as a building and I can't move back and yet want to capture the whole thing is a single frame.

Attached Images

Old Jun 5, 2004, 1:28 PM   #10
MrE

thanks puck, what a stupid design I cant believe that shadow. I think I'll give this gizmo a big miss untill its peanuts to buy. All I wanted was to put a UV filter on the cam, you think they would have come up with something better :-(

Ah well, thanks for uping the pics :-)
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote