Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 9, 2004, 4:16 PM   #1

I have been reading about and checking out different models of digital cameras for some time now and I'm hoping to finally purchase one this month. I love my 35mm Minolta SLR with various lenses, but I would like to be able to immediately see my photos and make sure I've taken what I think I've taken. I do not want the bulk of a digital SLR, nor the expense, but I know I want to be able to take both wide angle and telephoto pictures with my digital. Photos will be general family, travel scenery, etc. Shouldn't have any more need for sports-type photos. I think the A1 fits my needs very well, but I have a couple of questions about it that I hope an owner will be willing to answer.

Since I really dislike having to edit photos on the computer, I especially want to make sure that the camera I purchase does a good job of avoiding red-eye. How is the A1 in this respect?

I would like to be able to make mostly 4x6 prints, occasionally 5x7 or 8x10, but I want to be sure that I can crop a small area of the picture and enlarge it to this size. What image size/quality settings would I use for this?

Also, are the standard SanDisk CF cards that places like Circuit City are selling (128mb-$45; 256mb-$54) going to be of the appropriate speed for the A1 so that there won't be a delay while the image is being captured?

It has taken me ages to get to this point. I started out last fall thinking I wanted an A1, was derailed by some comments about the steep learning curve, sidetracked by a friend's 5060, and then realized again how important the telephoto zoom is to me.

Thank you for your help.
Maggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 9:54 PM   #2

Since I really dislike having to edit photos on the computer, I especially want to make sure that the camera I purchase does a good job of avoiding red-eye. How is the A1 in this respect?

All cameras with the flash mounted close to the lens (ie: the builtin flash) will exhibit red eye to some extent. The A1 has a red eye reduction mode which fires a preflash just prior to the main flash. I dislike this as I find most people react to it by closing their eyes. So you don't get red eye because the subjects eyes are closed. The best solution to eliminating red eye is to use an off camera flash.

I would like to be able to make mostly 4x6 prints, occasionally 5x7 or 8x10, but I want to be sure that I can crop a small area of the picture and enlarge it to this size. What image size/quality settings would I use for this?

Always use the max image size and highest quality settings. Digital is cheap and you never know when you might decide to do that crop.

Also, are the standard SanDisk CF cards that places like Circuit City are selling (128mb-$45; 256mb-$54) going to be of the appropriate speed for the A1 so that there won't be a delay while the image is being captured?

The A1 has a buffer that the camera writes the image to, prior to actually writing to the card. This means you can take multiple shots in succession with out having to wait for the last shot to finish writing to the CF card. The only time you would experience a delay would be if you managed to fill the buffer.

[img][/img]
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 8:42 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. Good to know about the closed eye reaction to the red-eye reduction. Rats. I was hoping to avoid dragging an external flash around with me.
Old May 11, 2004, 9:10 AM   #4

Maggie wrote:
Quote:
Thanks for the info. Good to know about the closed eye reaction to the red-eye reduction. Rats. I was hoping to avoid dragging an external flash around with me.
Just tellyour subjects to expect the red eye flashes prior to the main flash. That helps to assure they don't close their eyes unless they happen to be like my wife who has the uncanny ability to close her eyes at the exact moment of flash firing, red eye mode or not. I need to take 3 or 4 pictures to get her with her eyes open!

My daughter has a little trick when taking portraits. Have all subjects look down and close their eyes. Count to 3 at which time they all look up and smile. Take the picture then. It works 90% of the time, even with my wife!

Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 12, 2004, 6:06 AM   #5

Interesting-wonder why it works. I'll definitely try it. Thanks for the tip.