Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 10, 2004, 5:24 AM   #1

I know that Purple Fringing appears to be a problem with many of the new 8mp cameras to some degree or an other. My question is would a ND filter help with this problem?

I would like to purchas an A2, but I am also considering the quality of the Olympus 8080 especially if it involves less processing with the photos.

What are your thoughts?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2004, 1:55 AM   #2

A ND filter would not make any difference with PF. The Canon Pro1 has a ND filter builtin and it does not make any difference AFAIK.
Jon S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 5:34 AM   #3

Well ... now when I used my A2 for nearly 2 month I honest can say that PF isnĀ“t a problem at all

Despite that fact that I tryed to take some hi contrast photos to force the camera to crack in to PF

/Puls
Puls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 7:17 AM   #4

Maybe we are getting worked up over something that is either not much of a problem or it varies from one camera to the next regardless of brand names?
normc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 1:15 AM   #5

To my understanding the 8 megapixel used in the 5 prosumer models (A2, DSC-F828, Powershow Pro1, C8080, Coolpix 8700) all use the same 8 megapixel image sensor created by Sony and all have this problem due to the tiny photo-sites on the image sensor (3 microns) and that many 6 MP take better pictures (visible if you make enlargements in the 6 MP limits).

That sure doesn't appear on the brochures.... Steve? what do you make of this?
Yehuda O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 2, 2004, 3:02 AM   #6

The purple fringing (which I haven't noticed on my A2, BTW) is caused by chromatic aberration in the lens, which is always present to some extent. The fact that it seems to worse with the 8Mp cameras is that they're sensitive enough to record this detail. Obviously a 5Mp sensor (of the same size) would show up less PF because the individual pixel is that much bigger so the detail is "smeared" a bit more. It's not the fault of the sensor - it needs better lens technology.Basically thesensor technology has reached (or gone beyond) the limit for the glass lens technology.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote