Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 10, 2004, 1:02 PM   #1

Could somebody adise me what should I choose-A2 or 300D or D70. I know A2 is not DSLR but has a good opinions? I use SLR Canon 30 and I'd like bye a digital camera. Many thanks in advance for help
Cobrus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 10, 2004, 7:31 PM   #2

I bought my A-2 a month ago because it has anti-shake and features I am already familiar with as a Minolta SPxi owner. If anti-shake is no big deal to you, go for the D-70. The A-2 has focus problems and fuzzy soft images. My A-2is back to the factory for focusing trouble and repairs right now. I am a little disappointed and regret the purchase. Konica Minolta has a new dSLR coming out in the fall. I should have waited.
shercando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2004, 9:39 PM   #3

If image quality is an issue, and I assume it is, then you do not want the A2, or any of the other 8MP cameras.

I would go with the D70, as it has better performance and more features than the 300D.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 3:16 AM   #4

I haven't noticed any focus problems on my A2 and the pictures seem sharp. If you get focus problems I'd check a) that it has actually focussed before taking thephoto (white dot displayed)and b) that it's focussed on what you want it to focus on (red square). You can change the focus mode to select where you want it to focus which is probably safer.These problems are not normal for this camera.

As for which to buy D70, 300D or A2 I think you need to remember that if you buy a dSLR the initial purchase will be a fraction of the money you eventually pay. You're going to buy more lenses probably - telephoto, macro etc. So whatever system you buy you're locking yourself into it. (That's why Nikon and Canon are selling cheap dSLRs now). Soyou need to checkthe whole system before you buy. For example, neither camera has image stabilisation in the body, as the A2 has and the new Minolta dSLR has. Canon do IS lenses but they're expensive. Nikon don't do it. This may be unimportant to you. Theyboth use 35mm lenses (big and expensive) for 21mm sensors. As for quality I doubt that you'll see much difference between any of them, but the dSLRs are going to be able to shoot at much higher ISO ratings and obviously give you greater flexibility with lenses.

I considered the same options and bought the A2 because I couldn't see any system that I wanted at the moment. I'm hoping the 4/3 system will evolve into what I want, with IS in the camera and a good set of lenses, but it'll take time. Meanwhile I can use the A2 and when I'm ready to buy a dSLR it'll be cheaper than it is now and a better system.

Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11, 2004, 4:22 AM   #5

This is very interesting you wrote. I use the Canon 30 and considering 300D I take into account my lens ( tamron) and speedlight - dedicated for canon - Sunpack). I'm still considering buya lens 70-300. I think buing the A2 I'll need buy convertes ( wide and tele) and speedlight. I like take a picture of face, nature, flowers etc. D70 is expensive and I need by very expecnsive speedlight dedicated to this model of camera. There is no any vertical grip ( battery pack). and canon 300D is too plastic and without any less or more necessary gadgets.
Cobrus5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 6, 2004, 11:22 PM   #6

I have a Dimage 7, an A1 and an A2. The A2 is simply a piece of junk. Many users are on their fourth one still looking for a camera that focuses. That isn't the only problem. People just haven't discovered the others....yet. When I called Konica Minolta I asked about the focus problem. Their answer....what focus problem? In the meantime the internet is flooded with focusing complaints. I sent mine in and it literally came back WORSE then before. Konica Minolta has problems they can't fix and won't own up to. My recommendation, avoid this paper weight at all costs.
stevecohan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 1:18 AM   #7

Feature-wise the A2 is really impressive. But when it comes right down to it, the bottom line is picture quality. I tried out two A2 and found both to produce really soft and sometimes out of focus images. If only the picture quality was up to par with its feature set.

If picture quality is you number one concern, then I think it's no contest with either dSLR you mentioned. Both the Canon and Nikon are superior to the A2 or any of the other 8MP cameras out there.
x10guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 3:46 AM   #8

Are you sure you're using it properly? The intelligent focus can select the wrong part of the picture, for example.Try the spot focus mode.I haven't had any focussing problems and the pictures are sharp. Try altering the custom settings. There is also a very usable manual focussing mode which works well.
Technophile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 6:48 AM   #9
NHL

This is from people who know what they are doing:
http://www.tipa.com/awa_2004.lasso
... and clearly all three cameras (including the A2) are highly recommended. :idea:

As to the focusing issue:
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/re...location.shtml

Any camera will have "focusing issue" if you rely on its "dumb" computer:
http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...m_id=37&page=2

... BTW also check older Nikon threads as well!!!
NHL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 7, 2004, 12:46 PM   #10

><
John G. is offline   Reply With Quote