Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 12, 2004, 10:56 AM   #1

Anyone have any information on this 6mp camera from Minolta? Will there be a review posted here anytime soon? I'm considering buying this camera in the next few weeks. Any information would be helpful.

JT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 16, 2004, 5:10 AM   #2

Hiya,

I just purchased this camera online for $399 a few days ago and it should arrive by next monday. I will give you the lowdown after that. It seems that this camera is a newer version from the dimage g500 (konica 510z, or something like that before konica/minolta merger). I have not actually seen this camera in person, but my bro-in-law just went to the store today and played with one. He had positive things to say like, solidly built, beautiful lcd yada yada.

One of the deciding factors for me was the fact that this camera can take both SD and Memory "shtick" cards. Since I already own a sony and have a bunch of their memory cards, I figured this would be a nice step up without incurring additional memory costs.

I think this camera should be a winner and, man, a 6 megapix for under 400 online!?! My current sony p-71 is a 3.2 and cost me that a year and a half ago. Actually the ccd on the g600 is like 6.4, so it will make prints even larger than 13 x 19.

Lastly, this camera looks simply elegant. I don't need all the crazy bells and whistles that some other digicams employ. This one looks sturdy, clean and to the point (and shoot :lol.

In terms of other reviews, the pickings are slim at this point. Steves-digicams hasyet to review it, but you mightwant to read his g500 review.Dpreview.com has alittle blurb when the camera was first released, but nothing too revealing.

Ooooh, I just checked some sample photos that steve had from the g500 and the following is quite striking in oh so many ways: http://www.steves-digicams.com/2003_...s/PICT0253.JPG

Hope that helps,

Take care,

Joel

joelkirzner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 1:00 AM   #3
Administrator

:homey: Oh yeah!!!!!!!!! She looks good - even turned sideways.
steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2004, 1:46 PM   #4

Steve,

Do you plan on reviewing this camera anytime soon?

Thanks
JT33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 9:07 AM   #5
Administrator

I have the Konica Kd-510z (identical to the Minolta G500). Chances are, the new G600 is just a mildly restyled G500, with a new 6 Megapixel 1/1.8" CCD, and a few firmware "tweaks".

I really don't expect to see any significant difference between the two models, with the possible exception of higher noise in the new model.

One thing to keep in mind, is that the new 6 Megapixel CCD is likely to have more noise (similiar to film grain), compared to the 5 Megapixel CCD that it it replaced (because the photosites for each pixel are smaller).

Basically, the 5 Megapixel 1/1.8" CCD has higher noise than the 4 Megapixel 1/1.8" CCD that preceded it. So, I expect the same thing from the newer 6 Megapixel 1/1.8" CCD, too. these sensors are getting ridiculously dense (but more megapixels sells more cameras). Most consumers equate higer megapixels with higher quality. This is not necessarily true (but it helps to sell cameras).

What happens, is that when you have more photosites in the same size area, they are smaller. As a result, it takes more light hitting the sensor to get the same signal strength. So, Manuacturers must increase the gain from the CCD (which also amplifies noise), to get the same sensitivity as the less dense sensors using larger photosites.

Chances are, in good light, you won't notice the difference. However, at higher ISO speeds and/or lower light, noise could be more of a problem.

This is why a Digital SLR (like the Canon EOS-300D, or Nikon D70), can shoot at higher ISO speeds with lower noise. These models have dramatically larger sensors, with larger photosites for each pixel, resulting in much "cleaner" images.

Hopefully, Konica-Minolta has added some firmware routine routines to help minimizethis problem using the newer, densor sensor in the G600.

I have some photos from the KD-510z (a.k.a., G500) at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

You'll also find links to my user review.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 2004, 4:35 PM   #6

I just received my g600 today. I'm impressed by the overall build quality of the camera, however, numerous things are annoying the hell out of me. For one, I really can not stand the sliding lens cover/on-off interface; the cover is extremely difficult to maneuver open and closed.I guess I may just be used to Sony's power on-off button, but, hmmm, I would advise prospective buyers to fiddle with one in person first.

Secondly, like the previous discussion, I am noticing a tremendous amount of noise in my indoor shots. I don't know about packing more pixels onto the ccd yada yada to cause that, but clearly, problems exist. Additionally, I'm having difficulty with focusing properly. The auto focus seems to be a bit finicky, but maybe I'm just new to the Konica-Minolta world.

I am not impressed with the lcd whatsoever; I thought it would be on par with my sony p-71, but it's not. Constant static appears on the screen and it's even worse when you hit the shutter halfway to focus. I don't know if that's a defect or what, but I am disappointed.

I am considering strongly to return this camera and opt for the new Sony P100 or W1. I'd post some pics from the g600 but I don't know what site to put them on...any suggestions?

Joel
Old May 18, 2004, 10:49 PM   #7
Administrator

joelkirzner wrote:
Quote:
I am noticing a tremendous amount of noise in my indoor shots. I don't know about packing more pixels onto the ccd yada yada to cause that, but clearly, problems exist. Additionally, I'm having difficulty with focusing properly. The auto focus seems to be a bit finicky, but maybe I'm just new to the Konica-Minolta world.
Quote:
Yes -- packing more pixels into the same size CCD introduces more noise, because the individual photosites for each pixel are much smaller (and cannot gather as much light without "turning up the gain". This is why cameras like the Canon G5 have more noise than the G3 it replaced; the Olympus C-5050 has more noise than the C-4040 it replaced, etc. This was a big complaint with the 5 Megapixel 1/1.8" CCD. So, I expect the newer 6 Megapixel 1/1.8" CCD to be even worse in lower light/higher ISO speeds. Bear in mind, that they are packing twice as many pixels into the same size CCD that your old Sony P-71 had. However, it's all a trade-off. To get higher resolution without increasing the camera's size, compromises must be made. In good light (or with flash), the image quality will most likely be fine in most conditions. In lower light and/or higher ISO speeds, the "newer generation" of cameras with denser sensors are not necessarily a good choice.
Quote:
I am not impressed with the lcd whatsoever; I thought it would be on par with my sony p-71, but it's not. Constant static appears on the screen and it's even worse when you hit the shutter halfway to focus. I don't know if that's a defect or what, but I am disappointed.
Quote:
This is normal. The LCD display on the G500 and G600 is actually a higher resolution display compared to your Sony. It is simply "gaining up" in lower light so that you can see the image (which introduces noise). It does the same thing momentarily when you half press the shutter button (to help the camera "see" to focus).
Quote:
I am considering strongly to return this camera and opt for the new Sony P100 or W1.
Quote:
The grass is not necessarily "greener on the other side of the fence". I owned a 5 Megapixel Sony DSC-P10 briefly last year. I find that the metering, image quality, noise levels andcolor accuracy of the KD-510z/G500 to be vastly superior to the Sony. To be frank, the Sony DSC-P10 was the absolute worst camera that I've ever owned (and it was my 6th digicam). Hopefully, Sony has made some significant improvements in the brand new "pocketable" models (but I would not bet on it).
Quote:
I'd post some pics from the g600 but I don't know what site to put them on...any suggestions?
Quote:
Yes -- try http://www.pbase.com . They have a 30 day free trial account to see if you like it, with very reasonable rates for images, should you decide to keep the service.
Old May 18, 2004, 11:20 PM   #8

Thanks for your advice Jim. Hey, I forgot to mention the shutter lag. Does your g500 hang a second or so with last picture taken remaining on the lcd? It seems that ifI hit the zoom button immediately afterwards, the last picture will disappearfaster.

Yeah, I hearyou on the grass is not always greener conundrum. I really, reallywanted to like this camera, but we'll see. I'm curious what steve has to say about it.

One last thing, I don't find the camera to be terribly comfortable to hold. You know that little metal piece that fronts the camera by the neck strap seems to put pressure on the fingers. Frankly, I don't see any reason for it except for stylistic effect, but it doesmake holding the camera a bit of a pain.

Anywhooo,

Thanks again,

Joel
Old May 18, 2004, 11:40 PM   #9
Administrator

Joel:

I think that they made some minor changes to the ergonomics between the G500 and G600. Personally, I like the design of the G500. It seems to fit my hands well. I particularily like the lens located closer to the center. With the Sony that I owned for a while, my photos were always tilted (I found it hard to hold, because my left hand would get in the way of the lens, which was on one side of the Sony).

Unfortunately, with cameras so small, none are going to be perfect for everyone to hold. Chances are, you're just used to the Sony, so this one will take a little time to adjust to.

As far as the delay after taking a photo, you probably have Quick View turned on (Setup, Quick View). This causes the last photo you took to be displayed for a longer period of time (I think that Konica-Minolta ships them this way). You want to turn this off.

You may want to take a look at24-Jan-2004 19:11 forum entry (the forum is below the photos in my album at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

This forum entry goes into how to customize the camera (controller keys, etc.), and also mentions things like turning continuous to on, and quick view to off (to speed up camera operation).

Old Jun 9, 2004, 9:11 PM   #10

Here are some pictures I took using my Minolta g600.

I will update this frequently

http://community.webshots.com/album/150751947VpvzRT
harishv79 is offline   Reply With Quote