Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old May 23, 2004, 3:36 PM   #1
MrE

I have never owned a camera over £50 so needless to say I am the worlds worst photographer. I took the camera out today down the woods after playing football with my boy. Here are a few of the pics I took. I am amazed at this camera it is awesome. I guess whilst this may not be helpful for you experts, it may be helpful for someone like me who wants to have a good idiot proof point n shoot. Well I am an idiot and here are the results of this camera in the hands of a 33 yr old and a 7yr old :-)

http://www.plankspanker.plus.com/album/index.htm

God I love this camera :-)
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old May 24, 2004, 2:48 PM   #2

Some nice shots in there. Hopefully i'll have a Z2 to play with some day. :-)
jackrussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24, 2004, 4:45 PM   #3
MrE

tell you I am over the moon with it. It certainly does everything that steve said in its review. Plus with 2300 nihm batteries the thing lasts forever! Honest I spent no time on any of them shots I just pointed and zoomed a bit and shot. Nowt was done on a tripod and the ones of me my 7 yr old took as he was fumbling for the shoot button lol. I like one or two towards the end. I love thisphotography lark, think I am getting the bug :-) I'm reading about how to take good pics all the time, and then messing them up when trying to put it into practice :-)
Old May 26, 2004, 2:06 PM   #4

Mr Ed, First of all, nice pictures! And tell your son he makes a good model! Now, two questions: 1) I own a Z1 and the only negative I have about it is the auto focus - sometimes it focuses in great and other times not! Have you had any AF problems with the Z2? 2) What country are you in? The forest in the background looks a lot like Western PA (USA) where I live!

Rockmin
rockmin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 28, 2004, 9:55 AM   #5
MrE

Thanks for the compliments. I live is sunny Wales UK, its very green here. Ok Firstly in outdoor light I have never once had a problem focusing the camera, the auto focus is fast as heck and always spot on (to my eyes). But it can be placed (locks on)wrong sometimes but very rarely, ie in the pic with my lad looking through the grass, the camera locked onto the grass just in front of his eyes, and I thought, mmmm that might make a nice pic, as his face will soften with a touch of blur. Normally if I wanted him in exact focus, I would come off the button, I'd move the camera a bit and lock on again, until its on his face and its sorted. So far the only time the AF has let me down is it low light, errr let me rephrase that, near darkness in my friends house which we are repairing,the walls and ceiling have been ripped down and there is no electric and its dark outside, with the only light coming into the house was from street lamps. Other than that I have had no AF problems even in low light, or even shooting a sunset or the moon for that matter. I got to be honest too, the AF gets better when the camera is using some manual settings ie shutter speed a aperture etc. The one thing that is defo true in Steves review is how fast this thing auto focuses, its darn fast. That said the manual focus is great to use too, but I cant see me using it often, if at all. I hope it helps Rockmin, and soz for the delay in the reply, been up to my neck in work :-)
Old Jun 3, 2004, 5:54 AM   #6
MrE

Here are a few more, some of these were in horrid light, plus the compression has added some noise which is not there on the original. I am happy with this camera in low light so far :-) I do wish it had an af lamp though, ah well I just use a key ring torch.

http://www.plankspanker.plus.com/album1/index.htm
Old Jun 3, 2004, 10:44 AM   #7

Some nice photos in there MrE. Is the mine just a tourist attraction now. Have you taken any shots at full zoom without a tripodwith yourZ2, I was wondering if they were OK or blurred. I'm thinking about a 10X zoom camera for next time I buy one and i keep reading how good theimage stabilizationis on the Canon S1 IS and how it's necessary for handheld shots at full zoom. :-)
Old Jun 3, 2004, 11:36 AM   #8
MrE

Its still actually a working mine, but has a tourist attraction tied in. Its a wicked trip, I could never work underground! I have taken a few at full zoom and they blur but I found a neat trick, use the eyepiece view to steady the camera on your face, and then use the progressive shutter, the first one is always blurred, but as the shutter fires when held down I have found a that the others are mostly sharp with one or two being perfect. But on the whole after 6x I find I need to bring out my bag of rice (my tripod subsitute lol). I was thinking about image stabilization too, as its on my camcorder and is ace, but the thing is, as good as it is, you cant keep the subject still. Nonetheless I would like to have it on this camera, dump the video (even though its good) and give us an AF light and image stabilizer and I'd over the moon :-). I got to be honest I dont like pictures taken from a canon, they look all soft too me. I really like nikon shots best, and a nikon would have been my first choice. But I am happy with the Z2. Some of the shots I took there I messed about with the manual settings hence some are too dark or just wrong lol, but its all practice I guess :-)
Old Jun 3, 2004, 12:39 PM   #9

I can't afford a camera and a camcorder, that's why i was looking for a camera to do both and from what i've read the Canon S1 and the Z2 do the best video. I know the Z2 is around £100 cheaper than the Canon but the IS sounds great. It isn't that important at the moment because i'm skint for now so i'll keep reading up on both while i get some cash together. Maybe something else will be out by then to confuse me even more. :-)Thanks for the help. :-)
Old Jun 3, 2004, 4:47 PM   #10
MrE

yep I know that feeling, just as my mind is made up then bang out comes a new product, thats always that bit more expensive, but every reviewer says ya got to have it, killer in it :-) I read the review of the S1, sounds awesome, but the pics still look soft to my crappy eyes :-) I wish nikon would bring out a cheap 10x that does it all :-)