Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:37 AM   #1

Hello,

I've posted this question also on the Add-On lenses forum ,part of my post regarding the Raynox 2020-Pro converter used with this camera.Maybe that is not the right place to ask.I'll ask here also.
The problem ( is is a problem?) i have with my camera is that the lens,when fully extended shakes a little bit around.It feels like the second part of the lens got lose somehow.Te camera it's just a few months old.I've took good care of it.If i remember corectly i think it was moving a little bit when it was new as well.Any of you guys are experiencing this ? Is this normal for this camera ?Why do i feel like the lens is too fragile to take any kind of weight on it ?( like teleconverters).
I've tried a SONY VCL-1452H from my Mavica,and now the Raynox 2020-Pro.Raynox is a lot lighter,but even so i can shake the whole assembly around quite a bit.
Abyss is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:46 AM   #2

tell you the truth--the lens barrel of A1 is made of plastic only!

it actually uses the original design of D5/7 and over the past few years minolta does not recommend the use of converters. So there is some risk, really.

you should use your hand to support the converter when in use. with care it shouldn't be a problem.

the weight is not the most important factor, the torque is. so a heavy but short lens may do less hurt than a light but long one. the further away the centre of mass of the converter the larger the torque.
nickfanmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 11:55 AM   #3

I've always supported by hand.Minolta has a teleconverter also.I haven't tried it yet.This was exactly my first impression ( and maybe my only big complaint),like you pointed out,the rather "cheap" implementation of the lens support.Just some plastic.
Thank you for your reply.I suppose i'll just keep an eye on it to see if it goes worse over time.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 2:16 PM   #4

I'd call KM support before your warranty runs out. Tell them it also shook a little and you thought it was normal until you started talking to others. Mine doesn't seem lose at all.

More than likely they will ask you send it in. When you ship it in - GETA TRACKING NUMBER - wait until they receive it - then call and ask them for status - otherwise they will take longer getting it back to you.

I love the functionality and features of the A1 - its just spent almost as much time at the repair facility in NJ as it has in my hands since I've had it.......
cczych is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2004, 2:24 PM   #5

Thank You cczych.I think i'll do what you recommend.Thank you for the warnings as well.
Old Jun 9, 2004, 2:34 PM   #6

my d7hi, a1 lens can shake a bit at full tele. i think it is normal.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 4:09 AM   #7

Abyss,

can you do us a favor by measuring the pupil size of your dcr-2020,betterby taking a photo at the rear of 2020 as well?

thx
Old Jun 10, 2004, 9:01 AM   #8

I'll do it today and i'll post photos also.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 11:25 AM   #9

nickfanmn

Here is the updated link to my web site where i have included two pictures of the lens with measurements :
http://www3.sympatico.ca/eugenluca/raynox/raynox.htm.
Old Jun 10, 2004, 12:09 PM   #10

thanks a lot.