Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:35 PM   #11

prometheus32 wrote:
Quote:
I too have experienced the lag problem using a camera updated to the ver. 102 firmware.
can you say what memory you are using?

I am still using the 16 meg panasonic memory that came with the camera. Don't wanna buy any more untill i know if i am keeping the camera or sending it back for a refund
Tinsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:46 PM   #12

I tested it with some Lexar 32x. I think I will try the Trancend 45x and see if I have the same problem. I'll let you know what I find out.
prometheus32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:13 AM   #13

I conducted some more video test using different speed cards. I used a more scientific method and determined that there is indeed an approximately a quarter second sound lag regardless of the speed of the card.

The good news is I found a solution on another forum. If you use Rad Video Tool (free download) to convert the mov format to an avi format you can set the option "start input at (ms) " to 280 to fix the sound lag. There are a number of compression options available. I find that the Indeo video 5.10 compression does good job. I retest the video after conversion and no sound lag. It really does work !!Bonus the resulting avi files arecompatible with more video editing software than mov files anyway.
Kilbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 9:38 AM   #14

Kilbride wrote:
Quote:

I conducted some more video test using different speed cards. I used a more scientific method and determined that there is indeed an approximately a quarter second sound lag regardless of the speed of the card.

The good news is I found a solution on another forum. If you use Rad Video Tool (free download) to convert the mov format to an avi format you can set the option "start input at (ms) " to 280 to fix the sound lag. There are a number of compression options available. I find that the Indeo video 5.10 compression does good job. I retest the video after conversion and no sound lag. It really does work !! Bonus the resulting avi files are compatible with more video editing software than mov files anyway.
funny thing is, i hit refresh on this page and saw your reply the moment my download of rad video tool finished.
will give it a shot in a bit, but still pretty disappointed that i will have to do minoltas work for them. and to be honest i can't belive that every camera is like mine otherwise there would be mass returns of all the Z2 cameras. If i'd bought mine at a high street shop it would be returned already.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 10:42 AM   #15

I have subitted a question to Minolta about this. The last time I complained about an issue, I was told that I was the only person who had reported the problem and they inferred that there was nothing they would do about the issue. Two weeks later there was a firmware update that resolved the issue.

I encourage anyone who owns a Minolta DiMage Z2 to submit a question about it to Minolta via their website (see link below).

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...skYourQuestion

Here is what I wrote to Minlolta:

"Videos recorded with my DiMage Z2 have sychronization problems between the audio and video. When recording people talking, the audio will not match the movement of the subjects lips. Is there a firmware update planned that will address this issue? I am currently using version 102."
prometheus32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 11:30 AM   #16

prometheus32 wrote:
Quote:
I have subitted a question to Minolta about this. The last time I complained about an issue, I was told that I was the only person who had reported the problem and they inferred that there was nothing they would do about the issue. Two weeks later there was a firmware update that resolved the issue.

I encourage anyone who owns a Minolta DiMage Z2 to submit a question about it to Minolta via their website (see link below).

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...skYourQuestion

Here is what I wrote to Minlolta:

"Videos recorded with my DiMage Z2 have sychronization problems between the audio and video. When recording people talking, the audio will not match the movement of the subjects lips. Is there a firmware update planned that will address this issue? I am currently using version 102."
I have also submitted a similar question to minolta, and i linked to the movies i made so they can see for themselves. hopefully they won't ignore it cos it seems to me that it could be fixed with a firmware update.
Old Jun 19, 2004, 11:50 AM   #17

I have also sent a note to Minolta about the sound lag problem. In the meantime the Rad Video solution seems to work and I much prefer the avi format anyways.
Kilbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 4:04 PM   #18

Hi

I just bought my Z2 today and love it already!!

During the quick play around ive had with it my unit plays movies perfectly though the supplied AV cable on our TV but when I slot the SD card (128mb pannasonic) into my laptop and try to play the movies straight off the card Im getting sync problems?? Then when I copy the movie files onto the hard drive they play perfect?!?!

The only conclusion I can come to is the SD card hasnt got the download speed to cope... But when you play it back on the camera, its using the memory buffer in the Z2 to play the clips back fine..

Hope this makes sense

Ken
kenny.c is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 20, 2004, 8:12 AM   #19

That certainly doesn't match my experiences.
I tried using the AV lead and playing through my tv. It's exactly the same. i don't know if it's a simple as a memory card speed issue cos the evidence of other people doesn't tally up.

the radvideo solution does work but it has it's downsides. eg extra time to convert videos, doesn't work when playing through a tv, doesn't work if i am at a friends house, loss of quality etc. so i only consider it a temporary fix.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 5:09 AM   #20

I got a reply from minolta UK support today.
Not really what i was looking for though. They said they didn't notice any lag in the samples i made!
This gets me worried cos now i think maybe they don't recognise a problem so no solution will be forthcoming.

Could it be that some people just don't notice the lag and others do? it can't just be that the movie files don't play back properly on my computer for the following reasons.
1) there is noticable lag when playing back on the camera.
2) there is noticable lag when playing back through a TV
3) there is noticable lag when playing back on a reasonably fast PC
4) when i correct the lag, and play back the fixed movie, everything looks fine.

so i haven't imagined it. but what do i make of minoltas response? It seems to me they think that the current quality of the movie mode is good enough as it is. Can the people who downloaded my clips give their verdicts please?

Maybe minolta USA will give a different answer