Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 22, 2004, 8:28 AM   #21

Here's the answer they gave me:

Answer is : When recording videos, it is recommended to use a memory card that has a write speed of 10 MB/s. Check our website at http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...ort_Compatible - for a complete listing of compatible memory cards for your camera.

prometheus32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 9:07 AM   #22

prometheus32 wrote:
Quote:
Here's the answer they gave me:

Answer is : When recording videos, it is recommended to use a memory card that has a write speed of 10 MB/s. Check our website at http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...ort_Compatible - for a complete listing of compatible memory cards for your camera.
Well that's better than the answer i got, but the problem i have with that is that the official reason for using fast memory, is so that the memory buffer doesn't get full. When this happens it has to stop recording and so the length of movies is limited to short 30 second chunks.
I was hoping to find some official confirmation that slow memory can cause the problems i have had, before i buy some fast memory.
I still reckon i will have the problem after i buy some fast memory.

looks like i only have one way to find out.

ps that compatibility page didn't work for me
Tinsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 10:37 AM   #23

Yes, the page did not work for me either. I consider Minolta's response to be evasive of acknowledging the problem.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 4:56 PM   #24

I am using the 10 MB/s Pansonic 256Meg SD card recommended by Minolta. It has the same quarter of a second sound lag that the my slower card has. The faster card will record a longer video though. I am not holding my breath for solution from Minolta. I will continue to use the Rad Video solution to fix the problem if it bothers me. Most the time I find Idon't notice the lag. Studio 8 will not use a mov file format so I have to convert it anyways in order to make a movie.
Kilbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2004, 5:10 PM   #25

Boooo Minolta!

Why can't they own up to their issues?
Old Jun 22, 2004, 5:35 PM   #26

damn,
I just ordered some fast memory, looks like it may be a waste of money.
I also replied to the email i got from minolta, in a more forceful manner this time.
Old Jun 22, 2004, 6:12 PM   #27
Administrator

I don't own the Z2, so I can't address the audio sync issue. However, you may want to know that there are only 3 major manufacturers of Secure Digital Memory Components: Toshiba, Sandisk and Panasonic. These 3 manufacturers jointly developed Secure Digital.

If you are using someone else's Secure Digital Cards, then chances are, you are just using rebranded components OEM'd by one of the "big 3".

In smaller sizes, all cards are relatively slow. In larger sizes (256mb, 512mb), Sandisk Standard cards are the slowest (by far). In fact,Sandisk cards in greater than 128mb size, are not even considered to be compatible with my Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500).

Panasonic's Secure Digital Cards are the fastest(10mb/second in 256mb and 512mb size). Simpletech's larger (256mb, 512mb) Secure Digital Cards are also rated at 10mb/second (they are probably using Panasonic Components).
JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 7:19 AM   #28

Hi

I just listened to your bottle tapping, and I have to say Icannot discern asound lag.... sorry.......(nicehorses in the background though !0.

The sound lag on my clips with PEOPLE TALKING is so obvious, I will send them to MINOLTA they will definitely see/hear it.

I suggest, as someone did earlier, that we all send actual clips of people talking to them, surelythey would have to take notice.

Does anyone else get wavy / jerky pictures on high res. I will download RAD VIDEO TOOL, and see if this jerkiness appears once converted to .avi.

Regards

Lizzy
kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 7:24 AM   #29

................and to be honest i can't belive that every camera is like mine otherwise there would be mass returns of all the Z2 cameras. If i'd bought mine at a high street shop it would be returned already.

So - are there any owners out there that DO NOT have this problem ??

THanks
kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 8:34 AM   #30

kathmandu wrote:
Quote:
Hi

I just listened to your bottle tapping, and I have to say I cannot discern a sound lag.... sorry.......(nice horses in the background though !0.

Regards

Lizzy
now this is a really interesting thing. I just rechecked my clips and the sound lag is so blatent i can't believe it's just me being extra sensitive to such things. i think there may be some other factor involved here and i will do some more testing tonight. I'm gonna get some friends to download the clip and tell me what they think.