Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 23, 2004, 3:35 PM   #31

i was so surprised to hear people say my movie clip sounded ok, i converted it to an avi with no sound correction at all.

this should demonstrate what i see on my pc when i watch the movie. I have checked and both movies look identical on my machine. So if you download the avi and you still say it looks fine then it means you just don't notice the sound lag.
the avi is in WMV format.

http://www.thetinsnail.co.uk/files/PICT0214.avi

(avi will be finsihed uploading in about 10 mins)
Tinsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 23, 2004, 6:09 PM   #32

Tinsnail wrote:
Quote:
i was so surprised to hear people say my movie clip sounded ok, i converted it to an avi with no sound correction at all.

this should demonstrate what i see on my pc when i watch the movie. I have checked and both movies look identical on my machine. So if you download the avi and you still say it looks fine then it means you just don't notice the sound lag.
the avi is in WMV format.

http://www.thetinsnail.co.uk/files/PICT0214.avi

(avi will be finsihed uploading in about 10 min

It's absurd that anyone would claim not to notice the sound lag in that video.

Come on Minolta, just admit there is a problem and have your engineers have a go at fixing it! Stop frustrating your customers by denying the obvious.

prometheus32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 5:38 PM   #33

I performed the same tapping on glass test in your video with the exact same results.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 5:28 AM   #34

Hi

Ok, I have washed my ears out and listened again, and yes there is a sound lag, but compared with my voice ones it is hardly discernible, sorry, I was so used to the obvious lags when speech is involved, that this didn't really stick out. My high res. movies are so jerky wavy in movement also, that yours seems perfect in comparison !

Will be sending mine into Minolta and keep you posted with any replies.

Lizzy
kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 8:56 AM   #35

kathmandu wrote:
Quote:
Hi

Ok, I have washed my ears out and listened again, and yes there is a sound lag, but compared with my voice ones it is hardly discernible, sorry, I was so used to the obvious lags when speech is involved, that this didn't really stick out. My high res. movies are so jerky wavy in movement also, that yours seems perfect in comparison !

Will be sending mine into Minolta and keep you posted with any replies.

Lizzy
seems to me that you probably need a faster processor. that is probably adding a further level of messing up to the movies in addition to the sound lag.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:47 AM   #36

I hear the sound lag. Are your movies at 15 or 30 fps? I wonder if that makes a difference? I shot a 3 minute video at 640 x 480 and 15 fps of my daughter singing. At first I thought there was no sound lag but I now see it ever so slightly. It's not enough to get my shorts in a bunch over but it is noticable if you watch close enough. I have a Z1 so I guess this anomoly has carried over into the Z2. I'm sure Minolta knows about it, but apparently the fix would cost them more than they care to put into these cameras.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:53 AM   #37

I always do 30 fps.

It's unfortunate that Minolta chooses to avoid dealing with this issue. I can't imagine that it would be that hard to fix in a firmware update.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 2:23 PM   #38

Oh dear, it's worrying to hear that the Z1 has this problem also.
I have tried searching the net for ages trying to find another place that mentions this problem, but it doesn't seem to be mentioned anywhere.
In the emails i have sent to minolta i have said that i will go round asking on different digicam forums about this problem, implying that i will publicise this problem to others.
seems like i will have to carry out that threat. perhaps if they get enough bad publicity about this they will be forced to do something about it.
A lot of people don't seem to notice the lag untill it's pointed out to them first. So if we can point it out to as many people as possible then maybe we can get enough people complaining about it to get minolta to do something.

Another useful place to visit, is review sections of online shops. very often they let you leave reviews for products even if you didn't buy from there. Ebuyer.com is a good example, think i will go there tonight

Rob
Old Jun 25, 2004, 2:47 PM   #39

Yes, unfortunately it seems that the only way to get some companies to support their current customers is to inform their potential customers of the issues that they fail to address.

I plan on posting this issue to the feedback at www.newegg.com, where I purchased my camera.

Old Jun 25, 2004, 3:35 PM   #40

what i am going to do is type

Dimage Z2 review

into google.
then go through all the top links and any place that allows me to leave a comment, i will.
i am assuming that anyone buying one of these cameras would do a google *****h like this, so it should get the most exposure for the min amount of effort.

I wonder if steve would consider amending his review, if we show him the video evidence ?