Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 6, 2004, 2:07 PM   #51

perhaps when they said "these issues" they were talking about the low light focusing rather than the sound lag.
in my experience these tech support people don't read your emails very carefully, and they just look out for keywords so they can give a generic preprepared answer to fob you off.

when i asked them about the sound lag they said the videos looked fine.

why i am constantly reminded of those people who are unable to clap in time with the music, when having a singalong. :?
Tinsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 3:52 PM   #52

That is why I wrote a very detailed and explicit followup letter to them. Almost anyone would understand that one. I'll see what they have to say about it. Here is what I said:

Hello, It appears that my Z2 has a major defect. Regardless of what quality setting I use the audio lags the video. I am using a very high speed SD card and it is played back on a highend PC. Why is my camera doing this?

It doesn`t matter what computer I play it back on, it is always the same. I have firmware 1.03. It appears that the audio lags the video by about .25 seconds. What remedy do you have for this?

I have spoken with other owners of this camera and it appears that almost all Z2s and Z1s are afflicted with this defect. What can be done to correct this? Please don`t tell me this is an isolated problem as I have now spoken with over 20 other owners that have this same problem with their Z2 and Z1 cameras.

I suggest you go to the following forum if you want to see how wide spreed the problem is and the great amount bad publicity this is generating for your company.

http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/view_forum.php?id=20 S

ee the thread entitled `Dimage movie mode sound lag` or follow this link directly: http://www.stevesforums.com/forums/v...mp;forum_id=20

Regards, T.

Hopefully that will help them figure it out.
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 4:03 PM   #53

Hi !

I also noticed this lag with my Z2, which is at firmware 1.02. What irritates me more than the defect, which indeed should have been caught by Minolta's QC department, is their apparent lack of concern for their customers, judging by what was reported in this thread.

I am following thisissue closely and depending on Minolta's action, or lack thereof,my Z2 may very well be my last Minolta ever. Which is a shame because otherwise, I am verypleased with this camera.

M.

montrealqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 9:48 AM   #54

Anyone know of a utility to adjust the audio sync in Quicktime? I don't want to convert the format as so far every codec I've tried seems to increase my file size over the original .mov format.

If I use a codec that makes the filesize smaller or evenkeeps the file size the same I lose quaility. So I can't see going to the effort to change the format and then increase the file size.

I have been thinking long and hard about the Z3 as well. I have really grown to like shooting movies at 800x600 and it seems the Z3 won't do that. Anyone know anything about the VGA fine mode on the Z3?

I got another answer back from Minolta and apparently there is no solution nor did they say they will have one. They said there are no firmware upgrades to address this.

My luck I'd buy the Z3 and it would have the same stupid movie sync issues. Maybe they could also find some other new bug to introduce too! :P

Thanks, T.
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 9:16 AM   #55

i think there is a professional version of quicktime that you can buy that has editing functions in it, but i don't know any more than this.

anyway just an update on the last email i sent to minolta about this problem.

They never bothered to reply to it :roll:
Tinsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2004, 5:44 PM   #56

I have a Z1 and found this problem as well but thankfully I found an easy workaround. The Z1 and Z2 will be set to a default video outputfor PAL. All you have to do is change it to NTSC as the Video Output mode (setup Menu 4 on the Z1).

Let me know if this works out for anyone else. I guess Minolta will be using NTSC in the USA and hence will be unaware of this issue with the PAL video format.
Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 1:44 PM   #57

Everything Goes wrote:
Quote:
I have a Z1 and found this problem as well but thankfully I found an easy workaround. The Z1 and Z2 will be set to a default video outputfor PAL. All you have to do is change it to NTSC as the Video Output mode (setup Menu 4 on the Z1).

Let me know if this works out for anyone else. I guess Minolta will be using NTSC in the USA and hence will be unaware of this issue with the PAL video format.

this works for video playback even when the file is copied to computer?:idea:

or does this actually change something in the record mode as well? :?
trueno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2004, 5:13 PM   #58

trueno92 wrote:
Quote:
this works for video playback even when the file is copied to computer?:idea:

or does this actually change something in the record mode as well? :?

Works on both the camera and the PC . My theory on the whole subject is that NTSC works as standard on 30 frame per second. PAL is only 25 frames per second as standard. Both 640 x 480 modesat 30 FPS. This is why there is a sound lag on PAL as there are 5 more FPS than there should be. The audio looses synchonisation quite quickly. Try recording on a 512Mb card or 1Gb card in PAL and see the lag at the end of the film as it gets progressivley worse! This issue could IMHO be resolved with a software update. The stuff about buying faster SD cards is frankly BS.

Everything Goes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2004, 5:53 AM   #59

Thanks for info, can't wait to try this out. I find Minolta's reaction to this problem staggering, surely they knew what you worked out and could have told us ?!
kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2004, 8:50 PM   #60

I just found something new about the problem:

Put your camera in recording mode and move your hand in front of the camera. You will easily notice a delay! Is this the same delay?
Because the problem is actually that the video come after the sound.

I am also waiting for an answer from Minolta. They will have to find a solution or give me a refund or an exange with a Z3. (The Z3 does not have the problem)

Thierry
tleveque is offline   Reply With Quote