Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 16, 2004, 3:17 PM   #1

I recently bought a Z2 and was disappointed to find that the sound lags behind the pictures in movie mode by about half a second. the impressive specs of the movie mode facility was one the the things that made up my mind to get it.
Does anyone know of a fix for this, or alternatively a way of fixing the movies afterwards. I think they are quicktime movies. If they were mgp's i would already know a way of fixing them.
Tinsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 16, 2004, 10:24 PM   #2

I haveread of this problem a number of times on the web but have never experience myself. I have been shooting video with my Z2 for several months using both the 640 modeat 30 frames and the 800 mode at 15 frames with no problems. I just took a video now and looked hard for any lag and still don't see it. Maybe its the speed of the card used. I usea Minolta recommended 256 Meg Panasonic card which is supposed to one of the faster SD cards on the market.
Kilbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 3:36 AM   #3

Yeah i have concluded that it could be the SD card. I haven't bought an SD card yet, i was just using it with the suppiled 16meg panasonic SD card. (camera only arrived yesterday)
But before investing in the more expensive fast memory i wanted to see if any others have experienced this.

Maybe someone can tell me if they get lag with the supplied 16 meg card. I expect a lot of you haven't even used that
Old Jun 18, 2004, 5:52 AM   #4

I found the 16 meg card that came with the Z2 and shot serveral movies using it. I closely review them several times and still found no sound lag.

I know some Z2 were sold with an older version of firmware that affected the movie mode. Perhaps yours is one of them. I believe the current version is 102. If you have an older version you should upgrade for a number ofimprovements anyways.
Kilbride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:45 AM   #5

Oh i didn't know that the firmware was upgradable.
I'll have a search for that.
thanks
Rob

ps any links to firmware upgrade info much appreciated
Old Jun 18, 2004, 6:56 AM   #6

update.
just checked and my current firmware version is 1.02 which is the latest version. Now i am worried i have a duff camera somehow. And i am holding off buying an SD card untill i know for sure.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 9:42 AM   #7

Hi

I have had my Z2 for approx 2 weeks. I have similar sound lag problem, and I think it is the computer specson the computer that i play it on. The other problem is the 2 highest res modes are very jerky / wavy, not smooth at all, although appear fine when playing back on the card.

My specs are 450mhz pentium II / 256 ram / 8mb video card.

What do you think ? is this what causes the sound lag and the jerkiness ??

Thanks

Lizzy

PS otherwise I love the camera
kathmandu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 11:32 AM   #8

My computer specs are more than adequate for movie playback. Athlon 1700xp, gf3 video card. So i don't think that's the problem.
also i can see the sound lag whilst viewing on the camera aswell.
Kathmandu, what SD card are you using? do you have one of the newer Ultra SD cards with the faster data transfer rate?

In a little while i will post a short movie clip to show people what the sound lag problem is.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 12:52 PM   #9

here is a link to two movies i made. One hires one low res.

http://www.thetinsnail.co.uk/files/PICT0213.MOV (1 meg)
http://www.thetinsnail.co.uk/files/PICT0214.MOV (6 meg)

It's a movie of me tapping a beer bottle with a pen. This is not something i normally do but it shows the sound lag really well.
Old Jun 18, 2004, 4:30 PM   #10

I too have experienced the lag problem using a camera updated to the ver. 102 firmware.
prometheus32 is offline   Reply With Quote