Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 17, 2004, 8:36 AM   #1

I got my Z2 in yesterday; paid $338 + S&H from 42photo.com...

Anyway, my wife wanted to surprise me (I wasn't expecting it until today) by taking a nice photo of our son and emailing it to me at work. Thing is, she couldn't manage to get a photo that wasn't blurry. Now, a big part of her problem was that she was using big zoom without a tripod. Also, I've noticed that the AF doesn't work as well (in low light, at least) at the telephoto end. Is there any way to set the focus, then zoom in?

Anyway, I tried to explain to her that, when zoomed that much, the natural shaking of the hands is much more pronounced, and you really need a tripod. I knew this before I bought it, just figuring I'd get a cheap $20 tripod, but she went nuts. She couldn't fathom how I could justify spending $350 on something that's no better than what we have now, unless you use a tripod.

(Our current camera is a 3.2MP Sony S70)

I tried to explain the other benefits, like progressive capture, since we have a small child and another on the way, much, much better movie mode, manual focus (if the other camera couldn't AF, oh well, we didn't get the shot), higher resolution... But she doesn't think that those things justify the price. I'm perfectly willing to use a tripod, even just one of those small table tripods, for big zoom shots, but she seems to think that's stupid.

Oh, and even if I have to manually focus some shots, I don't think she's willing to do that, so she thinks that she can't take good pictures with it.

So, back to my original point... Can anyone help me try to convince my wife that this camera is light years beyond the one we have now, and even though you have to use a tripod for big zoom, it's well worth it?

Thanks.
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 17, 2004, 10:31 AM   #2

Hi !

You can also tell her that an extra advantage of the tripod is that the photographer can be in the picture, since the camera holds itself. The only thing with the z2 about this is that is does not have a remote control, and the delay can only be set to 10 seconds and not shorter, which would be very practical for long exposure shots.

Having said that, I suggest to get a 'real' tripod, not a table one. Because then, you will need to find a table (or something else) to put it on.

M.
montrealqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 17, 2004, 4:27 PM   #3

Another thing I'll try is setting the shutter speed really high and using Noise Ninja afterwards to fix the phot up. Hopefully, with such a high shutter speed, camera shake will be a non-issue.

On the topic of tripods, what's the difference among the $20, $30, and $40 generic models?

Thanks.
Old Jun 17, 2004, 5:22 PM   #4

um...heavier, less easy to use, not practical in some situations

btw.....350 is not at all expensive for a digital camera....mine was 700....two years ago though...
photosbyvito is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 18, 2004, 7:34 AM   #5

I am not a tripod expert, but here my 0,02$. More money can mean heavier indeed, which is a good thing: you want your tripod to be stable, otherwise your camera will still shake, which is what the tripod was supposed to avoid in the first place. But then again, you do not need a pros tripod. You should also buy a 'clip-on' tripod i.e. on which you can clip and unclip your camera. Otherwise you wil have to screw and unscrew it every time. I paid mine CAN $45 an am very happy.

About shutter speed, you can try using the flash. In aperture priority mode, it will help the camera set a faster shutter speed. Try turning you flash on and off : you will see the shutter vary on your lcd. Remember: what looks bright to the human eye does not necessarily do so to the camera's lens.

M.
montrealqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 19, 2004, 4:52 AM   #6
MrE

With regards to a tripod, I just use a small bag of rice, like a bean bag:-). It fits in my pocket with ease, I can make any shape in it so the camera can be pointed at any angle. I can place it on any surface and there is never any camera shake as it absorbs any shock given off by the camera when it fires. Works for me and as it costs nowt, it keeps her indoors happy too :-)
MrE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2004, 1:26 PM   #7

Just so you know, I finally convinced her. We gave the old camera to her dad, so you know it's for real. And yeah, if I use shutter priority, and set it to 1/400 with the flash, I can zoom all the way with no camera shake problems.

Man, I love this camera.