Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 21, 2004, 5:12 PM   #1

I just bought z1 camera few weeks ago. Worked perfect for that few weeks till one day
LCD got stuck and won't change to the viewfinder mode. Everytime I attempt to switch the LCD screen blinks for a moment and comes right back instead of changing to the viewfinder. The camera still takes pictures but the viewfinder option is no longer available. Anybody had this problem ?
I called Minolta tech support and the lady on the phone instantly knew what I am talking about,
thus I suppose the problem is known to Minolta tech support. The ask me to send them camera to the repair, but I really hate to do that if there is other way to fix it.
Anyone had this problem? Maybe new firmware (if exist) can help ?

-V.,
junkbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 22, 2004, 11:11 PM   #2

When I bought my Z2, the "switchfinder" stopped working after about 15 minutes. At first I thought I had accidentally keyed in some wrong button combination. Not finding anything in the manual about it, I emailed Minolta that evening about the problem and asked then if there was a way to reset it. There response (which I recieved by morning) was that this was a service problem, and to use the emailed forms and RMA to send it in for repair.
Well, I wasn't about to send in a camera that was less than a day old that I purchased for a vacation I was about to leave on, so I exchanged it for another. I purchased mine at a Walmart, where they will exchange or refund any camera purchase for 30 days (after that you have to send it in to the manufacturer).

My second one has worked flawlessly and I do not regret my purchase in anyway.

BTW, I did the FW upgrade to the new one (had 1.00, upgraded to 1.02). It was quick and easy...

PrdAmrican is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 27, 2004, 1:38 PM   #3

junkbit wrote:
Quote:
The ask me to send them camera to the repair, but I really hate to do that if there is other way to fix it.
Anyone had this problem? Maybe new firmware (if exist) can help ?

-V.,
I hope you have gotten your problem solved by now. The is no upgrade to firmware on the Z1 and this would not fix your problem even if there was. There is no way I know of to fix the stuck mirror yourself. I saw where one fellow smacked his camera and got it unstuck. I don't think I'd recommend that procedure. To ease your fears, there are many of us with Z1's & Z2's who have never had this problem. Hopefully after you get yours repaired you will never have the problem again!
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 23, 2004, 1:20 PM   #4

I had the same problem... but my camera got stuck in viewfinder mode and now I cant shift to LCD view.... How did you solve the problem? I read the reply of 'Puck M' but I really dont want to send my camera to repair...

larce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 12:42 AM   #5

i think there was a post about holding down the shutter release at the halfway 'focusing' point and switching it between evf/viewfinder mode, while it was pressed, and it magically came back to life.

if anything, i would try giving it a slight nudge into the palm of my other hand (left) and see if some jarring would free it up.

where is ur z1/z2 made?

trueno92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 4:48 PM   #6

an update to the story…

I am so mad with minolta right now that it is hard to write. the camera I sent them for repair was return to me after few weeks.
the viewfinder worked when I opened the box for about 15 minutes and again got stuck in the LCD ONLY !!! mode. I called tech support
went through the deal again. about few weeks later when I still did not get my camera back from them, I called them to find out
that my camera" just been repaired and will be send to me in another two weeks" honestly I freaked out. I bought this camera on the beginning of June, used twice had to send to repair for the same exactly reason twice, the camera worked 15 minutes and after first repair broke exactly same way second time, and they dare to tell me on the phone that normally it takes about 4 weeks to fix the stuff that they could not repair good the first time, so I should be lucky that someone is getting this done for me in a three and a half weeks ??? sorry but this is not the way to treat customers !!! this was the first and the last time I bought camera from minolta because of the way they handle customer support. there is no place here to describe all my conversation and aggravations with the reps of the company, enough to say that after I scream and ask for a supervisor to call me back first I heard that there is no supervisor on duty, then that one will call me at alater time. oh, no one called me, just got email next day that they shipped repaired camera back to me. I hope this time better then the first one. but, in any way their customer service sucks… stay away from minolta for that one reason….
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:51 PM   #7

I have already posted about this problem about 1 week ago.

My son's camera had exactly this problem after about 9 months of use. We discovered by accident that with the camera switched on and the switch in the screen position, if we held the shutter half pressed then switched to viewfinder, the switch worked and the camera was back to working as it always had done. I have no idea why this is so, but it worked and the camera is still ok and working as normal. Hope this helps.

Ken from the UK
ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2004, 5:58 PM   #8

It is somewhat interesting that my local independant camera shop on Teessidedoes not stock Minolta, and neitherdoes Park Cameras, a respected shop and internet dealer.

It is also interesting that one internet reviewer of the Minolta A1 [or was it the A2?] had to get to his 3rd camera before he got one that worked properly.

Having said that, my son's Z1 was a very nice camera, in it's price bracket, until it went slightly wrong as above.

ken from the uk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2004, 11:37 AM   #9

Ken,

thanks for the tip. if it will happen again I'll try to follow. the only thing I want to add is that the problem must be well known to minolta tech supp. the reason I say this is that it took 5 sec for the first customer rep when I originally called to figure out what I was talking about, thus I suspect that we are not the only one that had this problem. the qestion would be it is well known to them why then couldn't fixed at this first time. but...

anyway, that is history;
thanks all for response, as I said, the next camera I will buy it is not going to be minolta solely on the experience with the customer service of this company