Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 24, 2004, 5:41 PM   #1

Hi I am very happy with the 10x zoom of the Z2. Take a look at this picture of the moon I took a couple of hours ago.

It is a result of 15 pictures stacked with AsrtoStack.

Attached Images

iacopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 24, 2004, 5:57 PM   #2

wow that looks good.
what is astrostack and what is it meant to do?

if it wasn't such a miserable night i might have gone outside and taken a picture myself
Tinsnail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 6:08 PM   #3

AstroStack (http://www.astrostack.com/) is a piece of software that automatically stacks and averages several pictures of the same subject, thus increasing greatly the signal/noise ratio.
Old Jun 24, 2004, 10:56 PM   #4

iacopo wrote:
Quote:
Hi I am very happy with the 10x zoom of the Z2. Take a look at this picture of the moon I took a couple of hours ago.

It is a result of 15 pictures stacked with AsrtoStack.
I'll bet you are happy with that image.It's great. I find it hard to believe you took that with only the Z2 and no telescope. I tried a shot a few minutes ago just to see what I'd get and just as I thought -little if any detail at all. That Astrostack program must work wonders. I'd like to see just one of your 15 shots to see what the program was starting with. I'd also like to know what settings you used on the Z2.

Puck
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 24, 2004, 11:35 PM   #5

hello here one of the single shots. It has some details but the stacked one is far better.

for the camera settings see the exif info. nothing particular except for manual exposure: f8 to get maximum sharpness and a correct shutter time to catch the most of the details
Attached Images

Old Jun 25, 2004, 12:23 AM   #6

iacopo wrote:
Quote:
hello here one of the single shots. It has some details but the stacked one is far better.

for the camera settings see the exif info. nothing particular except for manual exposure: f8 to get maximum sharpness and a correct shutter time to catch the most of the details
The single shot is very good too! I can't access the exif info from an attachment - wish I could. I'd really like to see what you did. I'll set up the old tripod tomorrow night and see what I can do with various exposure times but I don't really expect anything like what you got.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 2:16 AM   #7

to see the exif just save the image to your pc (right mouse button on the image then choose save picture as...) and open with an editor say dimage viewer.

when you shoot remember to use self timer to avoid skaking the camera when you press the shutter button. this is very important.
Old Jun 25, 2004, 9:12 AM   #8

iacopo wrote:
Quote:
to see the exif just save the image to your pc (right mouse button on the image then choose save picture as...) and open with an editor say dimage viewer.

when you shoot remember to use self timer to avoid skaking the camera when you press the shutter button. this is very important.
I tried again and got the exif info. I don't know why it didn't work last night. It must have been late and my mind wasn't working. That's a good tip about the self timer. I discovered that when I found these cameras have no remote shutter release option.

Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:06 PM   #9

I just read the exif info and got an idea. How about setting the WB to "Sunlight" instead of "Auto" to get some natural colors? After all, the reflected lightfrom the moon is sunlight you know... ;-)
lclarsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2004, 5:19 PM   #10

interesting! next time i'll try. thanks for the advice