Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jun 29, 2004, 9:50 AM   #1

I'm testing a Z2 and the tabby-cat focus test always fails at normal room lighting.

Anybody tried the Minolta 2500 flash with the dImage Z2? Can the AF assist light of the flash be used? If so, this could be a workaround for the missing AF assist light. :-)
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:56 AM   #2

I don't have any first-hand experience, but I don't see any reason why it wouldn't. What would be really nice is if they would make an AF assist lamp that would connect to the hot shoe, so we don't have to pay $150 for a big external flash just to get that feature.
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 12:10 PM   #3

I found another forum where someone says it doesn't work. Minolta is not answering my mail. :sad: So we'll need someone who actually owns this flash to be sure.

Old Jun 29, 2004, 4:33 PM   #4

That doesn't make any sense. In the manual, it explicitly says that the Z2 will work with the 2500, 3600, and 5600 flashes. Maybe that guy on that other forum was using an older flash with the same model number? I think it has to be the Konica Minolta Maxxum 2500(D) Program Flash.

(What other forum?)
Old Jun 29, 2004, 4:44 PM   #5

They are talking about the D7 and D7UG

ignavia,

Click on "another forum" in James Bond 007's post above

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 8:42 PM   #6

Sorry for my ignorance. I was at work, and Network54 is blocked. Now that I'm at home, I see the deal. Yeah, I guess we'd need someone who actually has used them together.
Old Jun 29, 2004, 10:50 PM   #7

I remember asking this question to Minolta when I first gotmy Z1. They responded that the focus assist illuminator on the 2500D flash would notworkwith the Z1 or other Dimage digital cameras.That feature only functions with the Maxxum series autofocus film cameras.
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2004, 11:30 PM   #8

I also read directly on Minolta's website that none of the suggested flashes 2500, 3600, etc. will work with the Z1/2 with respect to the AF assist light. I can't find the exact link but it wasn't on the US website. I was looking at work earlier and it appeared that none of the flashes with help the the AF issues.

I just found the link to where it says that:

http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...e-a1/07_1.html

Hope this settles it. Look toward the bottom of the table, 2nd to last line.

Tim
Wavshrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2004, 12:21 AM   #9

Well crap. Back to the penlight.
Old Jun 30, 2004, 1:14 AM   #10

So we have information that AF assist does not work with A1 and Z1. This doesn't leave much hope for Z2, too. Maybe the marketing guys will start to realize some time that there are people who actually take photos in temples, museums, caves and other dark places.

Well, if they don't want to sell their camera, that's OK for me. I'll examine the Olympus C770UZ and the Panasonic FZ10 then.

BTW, what about 3rd party flashes? Is there any with a working AF assist light?