Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:09 PM   #41

I was curious after reading this thread so I submitted the following to Konica Minolta Interactive Q & A:

Question: Does the z3 use a switch finder as the z1 and z2?

Answer: The Dimage Z3 uses a switch finder as the Dimage Z1 and Z2.

I've been following this forum and Phil's trying to learn about digital photography & which camera to buy. So many of you have been so helpful that I wanted to return the favor by passing this information on.

Patti
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:21 PM   #42

Patti,

Thanks for sharing this info. Where is this interactive Q&A? Can you provide a link? Or, even better, can you ask them what happened with the passive AF sensor and what AF technology the Z3 uses?
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 2:54 PM   #43

http://www.minoltausa.com/eprise/mai...name=DiMAGE_Z3

This is the address of the exact page on the Konica Minolta site that I visited. I went to minoltausa.com,located the z3 information, and clicked on Interactive Q & A on the left. Iclickedon "Ask your own question" at the bottom of the page, but there are now a number of questions submitted by others above that heading. I didn't add my question to the bottom of the list, but submitted my own. The promo information didn't cover everything, so this is a good way to get your specific questions answered.

Patti
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:34 PM   #44

Thanks. I didn't even need to ask my question:

"Also, while the focusing system of our past models is the rapid AF, combination of a passive AF and a video AF system, only the video AF system achieves its high speed on DiMAGE Z3."
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:35 PM   #45

I found this in the same FAQ:

"(9) The DiMAGE Z3 is equipped with EVF independent of LCD monitor, not with the Switch Finder."

Now what? :roll:
Old Jul 14, 2004, 3:40 PM   #46

In response to the comment re: the EVF being the same as Z1 and Z2:

Which points are of main difference between DiMAGE Z2 and Z3?

Answer:

The main differences are as follows:
(1) The 10x optical zoom is expanded to 12x.
Newly-designed Konica Minolta GT lens* unit, consisting of two AD (Anomalous Dispersion) glass lenses and two aspheric lenses, has realized high image quality as well as compactness of the camera body.
*GT lens can be named only for the lens for the digital camera which passes the strictest quality standards. The high-precision GT Lens includes Konica Minolta's original GT (G Lens Technology) for minimizing various types of imperfections, such as color aberration and curvilinear distortion.
(2) Anti-Shake is incorporated.
Our original system, the CCD shift system Anti-Shake which let the CCD move with shaking is first loaded on DiMAGE Z series. Anti-Shake offers unrivaled stability up to 3 shutter speeds slower than digital cameras without a stabilization system.
(3) Highest AF speed in its class
The focusing time is shortened. Wide angle position: approx. 0.15sec., Telephoto position: approx. 0.20sec (DiMAGE Z2 -] W position: approx. 0.2sec., T position: approx. 0.3sec.). This speed is the highest in its class* (*among the DSCs with built-in lens over 10x optical zoom. As of July 1, 2004.**).
Also, while the focusing system of our past models is the rapid AF, combination of a passive AF and a video AF system, only the video AF system achieves its high speed on DiMAGE Z3.
(4) Silent zoom to prevent lens zoom drive noise during movie recording
Adopting a newly developed silent zoom system reduces the lens zoom drive noise during the movie recording. Optical zoom is available in advance of or during the movie recording. (*The optical zoom On / Off can be selected on DiMAGE Z2.)
(5) The focusing range of the super macro mode is shortened to 1cm from 3cm.
(6) High quality VGA mode is loaded for movie.
640x480 FINE mode is newly loaded. Image quality mode can be selected from 640x480 FINE, 640x480 STD or 320x240 STD. The frame rate can be selected from 30 fps or 15 fps.
(7) Chinese language is added in the menu display.
Chinese (simplified) language is selectable in the menu display besides Japanese, English, German, French and Spanish.
(8) The camera sensitivity is added to the key customization.
The camera sensitivity is newly added to the key customization, which can put the functions in general use to the flash mode button to change the mode quickly.
(9) The DiMAGE Z3 is equipped with EVF independent of LCD monitor, not with the Switch Finder.

dmillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 15, 2004, 2:22 AM   #47

> The camera sensitivity is added to the key customization.

More customization but only one button.

It would be good to know whether they have improved the quick preview in continuous shooting mode. On the Z2, even if you shoot only one pic, you see only a small image in a 6-on-1 fashion. If this wouldn't be so, I would always leave the camera in continuous shooting mode and one less thing to consider putting on the flash button.
Old Jul 15, 2004, 7:26 AM   #48

any idea about the price ?

:?
eusebio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2004, 6:07 AM   #49

on pixmania.com (usually the best prices around, for Europe at least) the Z3 is not yet available but priced

492€ (for italy)

330£ (for UK)
fmercury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 4:16 PM   #50

New member of the club from Greece...

I suppose that we should compare Z3 with the Panasonic DCM FZ10. This would be a real good test because the two cameras belong to the same category. Lets wait the sample photos then. If theyhave the same quality, as the ones of the FZ10, i have no doubt that the Z3 will be a best seller!

Minas

photodocgr is offline   Reply With Quote