Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 20, 2004, 7:31 PM   #51

I asked the same question and was also told eary August. I asked about MSRP, but they didn't respond!!
toureasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2004, 7:36 PM   #52

I was really tempted by the Panasonic, but the Z3 has that super macro mode which is important to me - down to 1 cm. On the other hand, Panasonic claims f2.8 throughout the entire range - gotta like that Leica lens! BUT...... 12X instead of 10X. Oh, how to decide. Something seldom discussed however, is the interface software. Some is much better than others. Sometimes taking the picture is just the begining! So, what is one to do?
toureasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 9:11 AM   #53

Hi,

I contacted KM again to clarify and their response agrees with this answer:

Dear Customer,
In response to the question that you have submitted...
Question is : I previously asked if the z3 uses the switchfinder the same as the z1 & z2 and the reply was yes. The interactve Q & A reply given in the main differences question says `not with the switchfinder.` Have you eliminated the problematic switchfinder or not? How exactly does the z3 switch from EVF to LCD?

Answer is : This camera does not use a switch-finder system. The Z3 utilizes separate LCD and EVF displays.
When I asked the first time, I clicked on information(general). The second time I clicked on the choice for product information. Perhaps that made the difference.

Patti
Patti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 3:21 PM   #54

Panasonic Z10 (and now Z20) both have the same size sensor, according to the spec sheets, as the Z3. Main reason for the difference in size is the amount of light gathering. Panasonics are 2.8 from wide angle to 12x. MK's are not and in fact the Z3 at 12x has less light gathering capability than the Z2 at 10x.
wmussatto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 4:12 PM   #55

> less light gathering capability than the Z2 at 10x.

You can replace the end of your sentence even with 3x. The Z3 max aperture is f4 from ~3x zoom.
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 5:46 PM   #56

I got my Z3 today !!!

Hello everybody. I lived in France and receivedmy Z3 from LDLC (paid453 Euros inc VAT)

I took a lot of pictures today. Macro, flash, full zoomed, etc.

Great camera. It is my first real digital camera, I got a Video camcorder (JVC 1.3 Mpix with SD Cards), and a Nikon F65 Reflex Camera.

Pro :

- very fast : focus much like my Nikon F65 in normal light conditions, near zero shutter latence like F65, but only Z3 can take pic in burst mode !

- great pic quality

- tons of features

- great macro mode

- great 12x stabilized zoom

- great UHS and progressive pic mode

- great video mode (640x480x30 fps NOT INTERLACED : even better than my JVC camcorder)

- great auto white balance, colors are far better than my camcorder.

Con :

- I got 2 crashes, 1 playing "a bit too much" (?)with dial mode button, 1once whileshooting in progressive mode. Had to open battery latch, and then, had to set date/time again. (I use a Kingston SD Card Elite Pro 256 Mo High Speed.)

- no manual focus (so hard to get good pic in the dark)

- The 4 alkalines batteries last only the day (yes, I played a lot, and I will get NIMH batteries soon)

- The full Z3 guide comes only in PDF (and only in black and white).

Does anyone experienced any crashes like me ?

(pic has been reduced with mspaint 50% both axes)

Patrick

Attached Images

plepoutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 16, 2004, 8:38 PM   #57

Sry for bad english, i only can use some knowlegde from school.
I hope everybody can read and understand this Post.
---

Havemy Z3 for 2 Days now and are mostly happy with it.

First i think the picture quality isn´t that good.
like allmost all superzoom cams the Z3 have a noise problem (too many MP/Sensorspace)
With Automode indoor you often get very noisy pictures, it try´s to get fast shutterspeeds ratheran low Iso - with terrible results (my old Powershot A70 has done much better)

With the manuell modes you can get quite good quality, but it needs some expiriences (we all want too improve our skills aren´t we?)

Outdoor in daylight this cam ROKS!
The autofocus is locked instantly - also in 12x tele and is very accurate.
AS is at least as good as IS (had my hands on a IS once) and i think it saves more power than IS. With AS i get 9 sharp 12x tele Pictures out of 10 (1/100 Shutter Speed is enough most times)
Makro and Supermacro are working wonderful. With normal Makro you can get 12x [email protected] 2 m (1 m with manual focus) and so you are able too catch nature live without disturbing them.
In Supermacromode i always are a bit scary to hold my cam too close and hit something (1 cm with a static zoom of 2x or 3x dont knowfor sure)

The Z3 is so fast, i got my 256 SD Card filled in a hour. sometimes it feels like a UZI
Also the 12x Zoom is faster than my 3x with the A70 and the quality ist better i hoped for.

With my new 2400mAH NiMH Accu i got 500 Pictures, and because it was the first load, it should hold longer next time. Amazing

Cons
As i said, this cam has problems with high noise levels.
I have expected it because of the small CCD so im not dissapointed by this fact but i think the Automode indoor works badly. The first Shoot out of the Box was horrible.
It got worse in low light (ambient candlelight for example) you dont get focus then.
Isn´t that bad, you can do it manually was my first though (@plepoutremanual Focus wont work in auto mode but in the manual modes)
but all you can see is 100% darknes, and cannot use your Eyes.
Hm now you can say hey, i want shot the group over there aprox 5 m away, but you only can scroll with figures like 0.1m 0.2m ... 1m 2m and then?infinite with levels you cant see either numbers nor levels on the scroll are visible.
So its USELESS! You need this especially for lowlight situations but then you cant use it, its a shame.

The EVF has no great resolution but is usable with autofocus.
It is helpfull because with the sun in your back u wont see much on LCD.
For Manual focus its not sharp enough so you can count the focus levels wich looks better and use the middle from them.

Another little annoying "Feature"- if you turn on Digizoom you wont get a break between Optical and then using Digi while zooming in (used to have a break with A70) so you cannot stop @ 12x most times because of the fast zoom.
So you have to zoom in an out till you get 12x and not 11.3 or 12x1.2

KM shouldget rid of this two problems with an Firmware Update. Ithink it´s not hard to fix it. Especially the manual focus should get a better scale.

Alltough i would buy it again its a fine cam with some cons
Allanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 2:46 AM   #58

plepoutre, allanon: thanks for your detailed insights, especially the negative ones (we can read the positive stuff in the marketing material) :-)

plepoutre: there is manual focus on the Z3, maybe it doesn't work in Auto mode

allanon: on the z2, the manual focus scale was finer if you first zoomed all the way in, set the distance, then zoomed back. Anyway, you can't photograph a group from 5m without an external flash. :-) I plan to buy a small flashlight as AF assist. Noise can be handled well with NeatImage in auto mode.
Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:18 AM   #59

Hello again ! Yes I found manual focus this morning

What SD Card do you use ? Did you experienced crashes ?
plepoutre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 17, 2004, 5:53 AM   #60

Although it may seem so, I don't have any Z# camera yet. :-)

I've read one problem on another forum with an old, slow SD card. The problem was gone when they guy bought a faster one.