Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 5, 2004, 8:52 PM   #1

I had butter fingers and dropped my Z1. It is less than a year old and I am sick. It appears to turn on but the LCD does not come on. The power up tune starts but does not complete. The lens appears to be stuck. The camera makes a grinding sound on power up and power down. The lens does not retract on power down.

I imagine that the warranty is passed. I was checking out the repair prices at one site and they are outrageous. I might as well buy a new one. Any suggestions on where I can get this repaired? Do I have a chance that I can repair it myself? Any advice would be welcome.

Please learn from my mistake and use that neck strap.
IslandGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 6, 2004, 5:31 PM   #2

:sad:Hi,

Exactly the same thing happened to my Z1. But apart from that I cannot see anything in the viewfinder the camera works OK. The pictures are still fine even if I don´t see what will come on the screen.

Since I have an insurance for "sudden unexpected events" the insurance company will pay anything that costs more than 120 dollars. ( I live in Sweden). I am afraid the warranty doesnt work but I will try - my camera is 6 months old. Anyone thinks that I should get a Z2 instead? I don´t think it is worth it. The difference between 3.2 and 4 MP is not very great.

Hope you can afford a new camera!

Hanarp

Attached Images

hanarp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2004, 7:40 PM   #3

You may want to send your camera in for repair anyway. The symptom that you described is an on going problem and will probbably be covered.

Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:55 AM   #4

Try putting in a fresh set of batteries before you do anything drastic! The symptoms you describe are the same as you get with flat batteries.
Eagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:57 AM   #5

BTW NiMh batteries don't like being dropped either!
Eagleye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 5:50 PM   #6

Didn't relize that about batteries. But it's too late sent the camera in for repair. Batteries seem to work ok in my GPS which shows batteries almost fully charged.