Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 6, 2004, 10:57 PM   #1

Can anyone comment on the flash in a G400? The specifications say 6.9 feet, as opposed to 9.2 feet for the Xg/Xt or the G500. This doesn't make complete sense to me, since a) the g400 is bigger than the others, so I'd think it would have a stronger flash. b) Its almost the same as the g500, so the difference in the flash range is quite surprising..

Acomparision with the Canon s400/s410 and/or Minolta Dimage xg/xt would be ideal

steve, please, please tell me you've used both (or all of the above) cameras!

thanks..

this website & the forums are one of the best I've ever seen on the net!
theboss99kk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2004, 12:02 AM   #2

Digital Camera Resource shows 2.3M at wide and 1.3M at tele.
http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/mi...ew/index.shtml Almost the same as Steve. It is a known limitation of the camera.
slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 3:26 AM   #3

thanks for that...

also, I read somewhere that the flash strength can be adjusted.. is the 2.3 m range the absolute strongest that the flash can be?

(I really want to buy this camera because I like the manual control it gives combined with the small size, but I want something that can take good pictures in low light.., a lot of dinners, and so on.. so I need one with a stronger flash.. the xt itself is on the borderline..)

Old Jul 7, 2004, 3:57 PM   #4
Administrator

theboss99kk wrote:
Quote:
thanks for that...

also, I read somewhere that the flash strength can be adjusted.. is the 2.3 m range the absolute strongest that the flash can be?

You can adjust the flash strength from what the camerabelieves is the correct subject illumination forproper exposure. There are 5 settings (-1, -.05, 0, +0.5, +1).

However, keep in mind that the camera is automatically varying flash strength, based on the distance to your subject (what you focused on), to make sure that the subject is not overexposed. It is also likely that the flash is already at maximum power for photos with focus distances exceeding the stated flash range.

In any event, if youincrease the flash strength to a stronger than default value, you will be risking overexposure of all of your images within the stated flash range.

By shooting at full wide angle (since far more light reaches the sensor, compared to using zoom), and increasing ISO Speed (the flash range was rated at ISO 100), you can increase useable range some, without changing the flash strength settings or risking improper exposure.

However, increasing ISO speed also increases noise, which can get pretty nasty at higher ISO speeds from a small sensor camera, destroying detail in the photo.

You're better off buying a model with the flash range you'll need.

I've got the larger Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500), and I've been quite happy with it's flash range. Although, you will have to contend with a lot of redeye in the photos, since the flash is located so close to the lens. You can see some photos from my Konica at http://www.pbase.com/jcockfield/konica_kd510z

For the best flash photos, you'll need to go with a larger camera, preferrably with the flash located high above the lens. Of course, an external flash is a much better solution.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2004, 4:29 PM   #5

thanks for that, Jim!

argh.. the g500 is a litle too expensive.. I was hoping to get a flash strength of the canon s400 at a the price & features of the Xg :/ anyyone have suggestions?