Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 7, 2004, 10:50 PM   #1

I just read specs on the new minolta G530 which is replacing the G510. It seems to me minolta is taking 1 step backwards with the ccd. G530 size ccd is 1 2/5, the g510 is 1 1/8 which means they are squeezing the same amount of pixels in a smaller ccd,also the flash is not as powerful. All else seems to be an improvement.

I could not find size of lcd and pixel size of lcd.

DCviews posted the 4 new minoltas, all the other sites only posted 3 omitted the g530.

any comments or observations will be greatly appreciated as I am really interested in this new g530.
rsquiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2004, 5:54 AM   #2
Administrator

Well, I'm quite surprised at this model, too.

Heck, I didn't know anyone was even shipping a 5 Megapixel 1/2.5" CCD. I wonder who makes it (Sony, Panasonic, etc.).

I originally thought that it must be a typo. However, I looked at the lens specs, and see that the focal range of the lens is 5.6mm-16.8mm (to give a 35mm equivalent focal range of 34mm-102mm). This matches up to the G400 specs. So, the G530 must use the same size (1/2.5") CCD, as well as the same lens.

Otherwise, the image circle would have needed to be a different size, in order to get the same 35mm equivalent focal range from this lens.

I'll withhold judgement until seeing some photos, but I suspect noise will be higher than in previous models (since the photosites for each pixel will be smaller, requiring more amplification of the CCD signal for the same ISO sensitivity, which also amplifies noise).

As far as the LCD, I don't see much about it (other than it's a 1.5" TFT display). If it's the same as the one used in the G400, then it's~76.8k pixels resolution. The G500 uses a higher resolution (~118k pixels) LCD. Here are the specs for the new G530:

http://konicaminolta.com/products/co...fications.html

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:26 AM   #3

The Sony T1 (the one with Steven Tyler in the commercial) uses a 1/2.5" 5 megapixel CCD as well. This leads me to believe that it is probably a Sony sensor.
nhf7170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 11:48 AM   #4
Administrator

After looking into this, I think it's a Panasonic. The new Sony 5MP sensor is 1/2.4"

The new G530 (and the new X50) will use a 5MP 1/2.5" CCD.

Panasonic has a 5 Megapixel1/2.5" CCD in one of their published "CCD Roadmaps". So, I believe it's probably this Pansonic sensor.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote