Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:22 AM   #1

Hi all, new to the board, altho i've been reading for quite a while. I have been wanting to purchase the Z2 since its announcement, timing hasn't been right. Tuesday of this week, around 5pm, the timing finally worked, and I went and purchased the Z2. Wednesday morning, went to Minolta website to look up accessories for this little baby, and had a small heart attack when I saw the Z3 prominently displayed.

I went back to the camera store where I bought the Z2 the day before. They don't offer refunds, but they did offer me a store credit for the full amount of the Z2 purchase, good for 6 months. I asked them to check into Z3 availability and pricing, Minolta's response to them was unknown ship date, and unknown pricing at this time. I'm in Toronto, Canada by the way. so my question to the group is, should I stick with the Z2 and be happy, or for the sake of waiting another month or two, should I return the Z2, get the credit, and then use it to buy the Z3 when it arrives?

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, I only have 10 days from purchase date to make my mind up....

thanks for the feedback!

Dave
dmillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:37 AM   #2

Hi !

As I said earlier, as soon as you get your z3, the z4 will come out, and so on. My own biased amateur opinion is the following : if you intend to shoot videos, you should probably go for the z3, as the z2 has issues with that (see other threads in this forum). Otherwise, see the already started thread about the z3.

M.

montrealqc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 8:42 AM   #3

Dave,
No one can decide for you, yourself can't decide either to be happy or not. The fact is you are not happy right now, isn't it?.
My opinion is: you return your Z2 for the moment, take time to see if you will like to get the Z3 or not. But at the time you get the Z3 , if so, you may be in the same situation, wondering between the Z3 and the Z4.
I have a D7i now, after upgrading from a D7, but since then ,I am happy with it despite the same design "upgraded" to A1,A2 etc…
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 10:09 AM   #4

Dave,

The most important difference is image stabilization. So ask yourself the question: will you photograph such subjects/events where you need to use long zoom, you cannot use the flash (not allowed or you're too far away) and there is no bright sunlight? (Examples: photographing animals in a dark forest, taking pics in a museum where flash is not allowed, photographing a wedding in a dark temple where you can't get close enough to use the flash.)

If you think similar cases will occur frequently, it's worth waiting for Z3.
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2004, 11:58 PM   #5

If it were me I'd take the Z2 back and wait for the Z3 fully expecting to shell out another $100 or so difference. I say this because you are so close to the Z3 release and it will be a good 6 more months until the Z4 comes out judging from past history!

I bought a Z1 and a month later the Z2 came out. Now the Z3. I didn't see that much difference between the Z1 and Z2 to make a change but the Z3 has surely got me thinking. I may give the Z1 to my son and get a Z3. 12x zoom, IS,a real EVF (no flipping mirror), and ability to use optical zoom in movie clips is worth a change to me.

Good luck with your decision.:?
Puck M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 12:13 PM   #6

Thanks for the comments and feedback, i've packed the camera back into the box, am heading to the camera store today. If all goes well, i'll take the store credit and wait til the Z3 hits, credit will be good for 6 months, worst-case scenario i can always go get the Z2 againI guess. I'll post when I get the Z3, let people know if it was worth the wait for me!

Dave
Old Jul 10, 2004, 7:28 PM   #7

That sounds like a good decision. I was going to purchase a Z2 but with the Z3 release coming soon I think I'll wait and go for the Z3 instead.
4.6MustangSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 8:37 AM   #8

I knew that if I had waited just one more day there's no way i would have bought the Z2, knowing the Z3 was coming, so I used that to make my final decision.

Got my credit no problems, camera store is saying they have a tentative price on the Z3 of $699 Cdn (I had originally paid $550 Cdn for the Z2). Not sure if anyone else has heard guesstimates for Z3 pricing yet. And no ETA yet.

Dave

Old Jul 12, 2004, 9:27 AM   #9

Here's a German store advertising it for 400 EUR:

http://www.eurodatec.de/product_info...roducts_id=166
James Bond 007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2004, 12:18 PM   #10

James Bond 007 wrote:
Quote:
Here's a German store advertising it for 400 EUR:

http://www.eurodatec.de/product_info...roducts_id=166

Lieferung erfolgt voraussichtlich ab