Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 8, 2004, 5:47 PM   #1

I have been told that some cameras allow you to crop and save an image while it is still in the camera. I've read thru the book on the Z2 and don't find this as an option. When I take a shot I can view and zoom in to selected areas of the shot, but that's it. When I use theDimage Viewer,I can use the marquee to select a portion of the image, but I can't be surethat the horizontal and verticledimntions will be correct for printing. Anyone have a clue about a cropping function built into a Z2?
Just Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 8, 2004, 6:34 PM   #2

No, there's no cropping function built into the Z2. You say that you're not sure that the dimensions are correct for printing, but all print sizes have different aspect ratios. I saw a great table of how much of the photo is cut off when printed at certain sizes, and printing a 4x6 actually only gives you 89% of your photo's original height. If you want to crop your photo and retain the original aspect ratio, JPEGCrop will do it without recompression, which is a huge issue with JPEGs. (http://sylvana.net/jpegcrop/jpegcrop.zip) There are apprently plugins that will crop your photo to the dimensions of whatever photo size you want to print at.
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 9:31 AM   #3

Thanks for the info. At least I know I'm not missing something.

I downloaded the Jpeg Crop and started looking at it. May take me a while to figure out how to make it work.
Just Passin Thru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 10:04 PM   #4

To be perfectly honest, I don't have a printer at home. I bring my card to Wal-Mart and use the 1-hour photo machine, which has a cropping function built in. I just use that, since it shows the aspect ratio of the final print.
ignavia is offline   Reply With Quote