Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 9, 2004, 3:45 PM   #1

A2 owners... when zooming, do you notice a discernable "bump" or roughness as the zoom ring is adjusted ? I fully understand that the A2 lens movement is not going to feel like a $2500 all-metal lens, but is your lens reasonably smooth in feel an movement ?

My new A2 has a slight "bump" about 1/3 into the zoom rotation. Itappears to have no affect onthe optics/picture. There is a small amount of endplay slop (full in, full out). Neither are catastrophic, however, is it "normal" or typical ?

Insights appreciated.

Thanks,

Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:36 PM   #2

I'm not going to break this thing am i with all this unnecessary twisting?

I don't know any different as this is the first manualzoom i've had, but yes i can feel a little roughnessbut as you suggested it might be expected with a plastictube. With my A2 (3 days old) the live image seems to jerk as the zoom is rotated but seems to be okay when the shutter is half depressed. In my very limitedexperience would that simply be the lens hunting and then fine when it is pre-focused ??
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 4:52 PM   #3

When I twist the zoom and rotate up to, through and past "the bump" there is no jump or hesitation in either viewfinder. If this were an autozoom you would never know. However, since it is a manual zoom, the feel is quite noticable. But, as noted, there is no gap or flop or jump in the viewfinder(s) when it happens...

Altos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 9, 2004, 6:08 PM   #4

I guess that the A2 use the same optics as the D7 and D7i.

Neither my former D7or my actual D7i have "bumps" as you describe. But I noticed that my D7's optic is a bit smother than my later D7i's. May be assembly and parts quality degrades as Minolta may change manufacturing methods for cheaper products/internal mechanical parts?:roll:
KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 8:57 AM   #5

Yes, it IS possible to break the zoom by overuse or too harsh use. I know, I managed to do and it cost me $200 to get it repaired.

Underneath the rubber zoom ring on the lens, is a plastic ring which is attached to two metal levers that come from inside the body. That plastic ring can split where it attaches to the two levers.

So my advice is to be gentle when you zoom and zoom only when necessary.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10, 2004, 9:59 AM   #6

Sorry Declan, just my little joke. I was only trying to detect roughness or a bump in the zoom operation. Nevertheless, i will heed your warning that care should be taken. Thanks
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2004, 10:17 AM   #7

Well, to be fair, the camera that broke was an original D7 and had had extensive use for the better part of 3 years.

I discovered the broken part under the rubber zoom grip when I began to investigate why my zoom had suddenly become very sloppy.

The two levers I mentioned are about 30 degrees apart and each lever is attached to the ring with 2 screws. The ring had split where each lever attached to the ring. I was suprised that the ring was plastic and mot metal.

But based on that, I would refrain from excessive or overly forceful zooming.

Minolta returned to me a brand new D7i as a replacement for my broken D7, so no complaints here. And my new D7i does seem somewhat stiffer (rough, if you wish) in it's zoom mechanism that my old D7, but no *bumps*.

Declan
amazingthailand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2004, 1:15 PM   #8

Mine was a bit like that and a bit stiff when new. It's OK now. It seems to behave like most modern lenses of that construction (plastic tube).
drool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 20, 2004, 8:52 AM   #9

For the record, my A2 zoom is fine with no bumps but I admit I'm very wary of the construction. My previous Dimage7 had also had a major failure just like amazingthailand but not worth repairing. But the A2 is so good I took the risk. Just be easy on it....
SteveOnPeas is offline   Reply With Quote