Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:16 PM   #1

hi to all :-)

i am new to cameras ive been having trouble with my dimage minolta 7i, when i put my compactflash card into my card reader to get the images onto my computer with no problems but when i put it back into my camera it says unable to read card :?

so i got onto the net to see whats goin on and i found out because i am using windows xp pro i need to reformat the card with fat not fat32 thinking i had solved the problem but it didnt so i took it to my local camera shop they took the card of me and formated the card with there software then put in my camera and it worked :-)

but as soon as i took some more pics it all started again :?:?:?

help me plz thanks brad !!
bradnkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 16, 2004, 12:28 PM   #2

Reformat it in the camera (if possible), it should be fine, always do it in the camera

KCan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 16, 2004, 1:13 PM   #3

thanks for your advise:-) but it will not let me into the menu features, i only formated the card with windows after the problem started the images were still on the card when i veiwed the on windows :?

thanks a verry confusedbrad !!
bradnkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 12:20 PM   #4

Make sure that you are properly "dismounting" the reader before you remove it. Do this by clicking the "safely remove hardware" icon in the lower right corner of the taskbar.

Windows buffers disk updates; using the "safely remove" widget causes all outstanding updates to be applied. Yanking the reader (or card in a built-in reader) without doing this can leave the disk in an intermediate (and unreadable) state (software is available that can usually recover files if this happens).

You can also configure Windows to not buffer updates (in Explorer, right click on a disk, select properties, then hardware, choose the drive corresponding to the reader, click properties, then policies). Then select "optimize for quick removal" to prevent caching of updates.
sgs8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2004, 8:05 AM   #5

sgs8r, if i were to do as you suggested with Windows XP & prevented caching of updates would this have any effect other than "protecting" the card if inadvertently pulled too soon ? If so it makes great sense to do so as i'm sure most of us have forgotten to logically eject the disk at some time. If we haven't already, we soon will !!

Thanks
Stevekin is offline   Reply With Quote