Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digital Cameras (Point and Shoot) > Konica Minolta

Old Jul 21, 2004, 8:32 AM   #1

After reading a few topics on here about how people have searched for adaptors and UV filters for their Z1s I just have to ask - what is the point of a UV filter? Is it for special photography (like taking photos of eclipses etc.?)

Also, people refer to an "adaptor ring" that seems to be a fairly common requirement when attaching extra lenses to the Z1. Is this correct? Do I just need to get one adaptor ring that I then screw other lenses onto? If so, could someone give me an idea of what I need to look for when searching for this adaptor ring, or better still point me to one on ebay? I think the ultimate use for it will be to get a telephoto lens, although attaching my camera to a telescope would also be useful!

David_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 21, 2004, 10:40 AM   #2

primarily from people swinging the camera around and whacking their front element on something. this then creates the scream of anguish from scratching the beautiful glass. the uv filter, a good multicoated one, adds a layer of protection thus in some cases sacrificing itself to protect the more expensive repair job on said front element or even replacement.

MCUV sacrifical filter approx $30:roll:

front element replacement by mfgr approx $100+ and probably 2 wks of not having the camera to use.:-?

there are always options
sjms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2004, 2:08 PM   #3

David_C wrote:
Quote:
After reading a few topics on here about how people have searched for adaptors and UV filters for their Z1s I just have to ask - what is the point of a UV filter? Is it for special photography (like taking photos of eclipses etc.?)

Also, people refer to an "adaptor ring" that seems to be a fairly common requirement when attaching extra lenses to the Z1. Is this correct? Do I just need to get one adaptor ring that I then screw other lenses onto? If so, could someone give me an idea of what I need to look for when searching for this adaptor ring, or better still point me to one on ebay? I think the ultimate use for it will be to get a telephoto lens, although attaching my camera to a telescope would also be useful!
sjms did a great job of explaining the UV filter, in additionit does do a little bit of UV removal so it will clean up some haze in the pictures also.

As for the adapter ring the reason for it is that the thread size on the Minoltas is a little small for filters. What will happen is at the wide angle setting your camera will see the sides of the filter and cause the picture to vignette (darken in the corners) by putting a thin step ring you can use a larger filter that won't have this problem. For the A1/A2/etc 58mm seems to be the magic number but I have used 55mm without problems on my A2. They are cheap and you only need onestep ring for the camera. The only trade off is the cost of the filter does go up with its size.

The other essential (too neat not to have) filter is a circular polarizer. This one is a thick filter (so go toa larger step ring) it allows you to tune out reflections. You can use it to clear up glare on water or remove a reflection on a windshield.

The only problem you will have with a step ring is your lens cover won't work so you will need to pick up a larger one.

CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 8:02 PM   #4

What "size" adaptor ring do I need for the Dimage Z1 then? Is it a case of one size fits all, i.e. will allow me to use filters (inc. Hoya R72) as well as telephoto lenses?

Or will I need different adaptors depending on what lens/filter I wish to use?

I'm having trouble finding any on eBay although it may be that I am not looking properly. Is a simple "dimage Z1 adaptor ring" search enough?
David_C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2004, 10:41 PM   #5

Here is one

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...tem=3829325971

---------------------------

So for it you would buy 52mm filters to put on it. If somebody else has a Z1 or Z2 maybe they can tell you if you should add a stepping ring to it (to make it even larger).
CastleDude is offline   Reply With Quote